NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Make sure to display associated keyboard shortcuts in menu

This should be a really easy usability improvement, at least for me, since I've had to do this a number of times.

For example, a while ago I was helping out a little bit with the Joomla 1.6 development and there were some changes needed that required certain language strings (which had been written in Mixed or Lowercase) needed to be converted to uppercase.

Besides the fact that it would have been nice if the Search/Replace feature had some additional built-in options (such as..."Uppercase the text found", or additionally "Uppercase the text found and prepend the following text", etc.) which could have made things pretty easy with an automated process using the IDE, I instead had to do a Search and then further began using the "To upper case" functionality found within the Edit menu.

After modifying a few items, selecting the text, going to the "To upper case" menu item and clicking on it, I began to wonder if there might be a keyboard shortcut available for this feature (even though there was not one shown in the menu).

After some searching in the phpEd help file, I finally found the shortcut for it and was able to begin using it and that greatly sped up the process as I no longer had to go back and forth between the menu.

So my primary suggestion here is to please make sure and add in any associated keyboard shortcuts for useful menu items (such as To lower case, To upper case, Toggle Case, as Capitalize Words) so that I won't have to look it up every time I need to use it (since I've used it a couple of times, but not often enough to remember it Smile.

As a secondary request, if you could revamp the Replace functionality to add in more capabilities (such as the one I mentioned above about performing an operation on the FOUND text such as running To upper case over it), I think quite a few people might find that useful.

I'm actually sort of envisioning an additional operation aside from Search and Replace that would be more like a "MAP this OPERATION over EVERY FILE in my project". For example, perhaps I want to apply all of my current Editor Settings to all of my files in my current project, or perhaps I simply want to run the "Re-indent code" operation over all of my files.

I barely upgraded v5.9.5 this week (I had been running 5.9 prior to this) and I think it's a great improvement and I'm just so happy with phpEd (I don't know how other developers even do anything without it Smile.

Thanks guys!
Make sure to display associated keyboard shortcuts in menu