NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Local variables not showing up in Locals window

I am having a problem debugging a very complicated bit of scripting, which I'm not going to include here (I could put it onto a website and send you the link). Basically, I have implemented a slightly trimmed-down version of the XML Dom spec, and it ends up creating lots of objects with lots of references to other objects (circular references abound). The debugger chokes on this.

The first thing I notice is that the objects, which have a dozen or so properties, won't show some properties. For example they have an attributes array, but this doesn't show up in the locals window when I'm running in the context of the object.

Also, sometimes local variables won't show up as well.

If I add a watch, for example if I *know* there's a local variable named $el but it won't appear in the locals window, and add a watch, it will appear in the watch. But of course $el->attributes is still invisible; if I add $el->attributes as a watch, it finds it. So it's like I have to tell it what's there, and then it goes "oh yes, that object DOES exist, silly me.... let me display that to you."

Finally, and I'm not sure if this is related, this stuff really slows the debugger down, and random actions such as removing a breakpoint will freeze the whole app totally, and i'll have to xkill it and restart it.

I'm using the 3.2 eval version on Red Hat 9.

Thanks in advance for your help! Let me know if you need a test case and I'll cook something up for you.
Site Admin

Yes please, testcase would be very helpfull.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Coming up...

I will have to trim down what I am doing and create a reasonable test case for you. I'll post more when that's ready. Thanks.
Local variables not showing up in Locals window