NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Limited Code Explorer

When I work on a site that's using a php CMS (like Drupal), it would be nice to be able to restrict which files are included in the Code explorer view so I don't have to sort through hundreds of functions to find the few that are actually being developed.

Similarly, a "code navigator" would be nice for the currently open file so I can see the funcs, vars, classes, etc. that are just in the file I'm working in.

Also, add my vote for collapsible code (one of the few nice things in Visual Studio Wink.

While I'm at it, it would be nice to have an option for the debugger to not go to all of the function definitions in an include'd file... just show statements that are executed and/or errors.

Thanks for a great product!

Mitch
Re: Limited Code Explorer
Veteran

sumgai wrote:

Similarly, a "code navigator" would be nice for the currently open file so I can see the funcs, vars, classes, etc. that are just in the file I'm working in.

I was just going to request this Smile. More specifically, I'd love to have two little pop-up menus in the editor toolbar:

* One that lists all the main blocks in a file. In a PHP file, this would be the classes and functions, while in an HTML file it would be the main sections (html, head, body), divs, and tables (although this last should probably be an option for those who still use tables for all layout).

* One that lists all the variables and constants in a PHP file.

Just to be absolutely clear, these would only be for the current file; the code explorer would continue to provide this functionality for the entire project.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

I was looking for a feature like that and I found this thread, which is 12 years old.

I would like to rephrase this :

Is there a way now (or have a way been added since 12 years) in Code Navigator to restrict the viewed contents to the definitions made in the currently open and active file only?

Regards,

Gingko
Site Admin

Code Navigator is here for ~ 12 years.

dmitri wrote:
Code Navigator is here for ~ 12 years.
I have no doubt about that.

But what about the answer of my question?

Gingko
Site Admin

Original question was about Code Explorer. By default Code Explorer shows CodeInsight info about all the files in the project. Originally, from the very 1st day when it was implemented, it had 4 modes: "ClassView" -- kind of merge by categories, where all classes are shown in their own folder, functions - in theirs and so forth, "Tree View" -- that shows all files in the projects in tree, broke down by folders, each file shows only its own content, "List View" -- that shows all files in a list without breaking down into folders, and finally "Single File" that shows content for the current file only. It's how it worked in the very beginning.
Back to original questions:
Quote:

it would be nice to be able to restrict which files are included in the Code explorer view

I believe that sumgai just didn't find that modes in the Code Explorer popup menu.
Later we realized that sometimes it makes sense to see current file separately at the same time with Class View. That's why "Single file" option was removed from Code Explorer and Code *Navigator* was added, that always shows current file.

Quote:

Also, add my vote for collapsible code

It was introduced a bit later, in version 6.0 if I remember correct. Or may be even 5.0.

Quote:

I'd love to have two little pop-up menus in the editor toolbar
As of what bobwilliams asked for

I wonder if these two drowpdowns are any better than the tree in Code Navigator where you always have options that tracks and highlights current location and you can sort by definitions and filter off unneeded content -- so it actually resembles what he asked for.

dmitri wrote:
Back to original questions:
Quote:

it would be nice to be able to restrict which files are included in the Code explorer view

I believe that sumgai just didn't find that modes in the Code Explorer popup menu.
Later we realized that sometimes it makes sense to see current file separately at the same time with Class View. That's why "Single file" option was removed from Code Explorer and Code *Navigator* was added, that always shows current file.

Quote:

I'd love to have two little pop-up menus in the editor toolbar
As of what bobwilliams asked for

I wonder if these two drowpdowns are any better than the tree in Code Navigator where you always have options that tracks and highlights current location and you can sort by definitions and filter off unneeded content -- so it actually resembles what he asked for.
I see.

What is difficult in PhpED is that there are so many features that it may be difficult to locate the one you need even if it exists, and the way they are named or described doesn't help very much about that.
May be it could be useful to duplicate (or even sometimes “triplicate”) accesses to some of them, for example by adding some contextual menu items as alternative way for accessing toolbar items, or vice versa.
This is very often done, for example, in Microsoft Windows Explorer, and it is very useful.

Anyway I think that some features may still be added. For example, there is a “Track current location” button in Code Navigator, I'd like to have it in Code Explorer too.

Filtering off unneeded content seems to be accessible only through the Settings menu, which actually opens the global Settings dialog.
The primary reaction when I see this is thinking this is not what I want, even if I'm wrong.
Maybe this part could be duplicated in an added contextual sub-menu in order to have it more intuitively and quickly accessible.

Gingko
Site Admin

Tracking location for Code Explorer is hardly doable, at least it's complicated. The problem is that with large projects like the ones, for example, based on Magento framework you may have up to several million objects in Code Explorer. It already takes a lot of resources (memory) to make the updates happening in acceptable time. Adding more features here like tracking would render IDE either much more unresponsive or taking much more memory and again render it unresponsive.
On the other hand -- I'm not convinced this feature is useful. I don't see how adding it would contribute to faster coding. So it seems harm is obvious while benefits aren't.

As of access to settings, in particular filters -- they are accessible in the Code Explorer and Code Navigator toolbars.