NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
likes, dislikes and suggestions in v8

love most of the changes in v8 - thank you.

..... the path in the tab when having files with the same name open is particulary useful.
..... the new docking mechanism is good too
..... the improved code hinting and dropdown suggestions are excellent

dislikes..

.... can no longer click on a file in workspace and rename- now have to right click, select rename - understand it might be to prevent mistaken renames but putting it as "option" would be nice.

suggestions..
.... worksets are a good start - be nice if...

1. you had to "save" them to change their contents - so you could reload a workset later and get back the original file set rather than just where you left off.

2. A drop down tool bar to easily switch rather than going "windows > worksets" etc.. (docked to the bottom of workspaces box)

3. re: the way files are scanned for inheritance/classes/definitions -

given two folders "client x" and "client y" - both have a functions.php file - if you're in a file in client x - and you click on a function
name and click "find declaration" - be nice if it "looked at" the one's in it's own branch rather than just finding the first in the project.

apart from that brilliant.

thanks.

Hi Mike..

Quote:
2. A drop down tool bar to easily switch rather than going "windows > worksets" etc.. (docked to the bottom of workspaces box)

OK, not docked to the bottom of the workspaces panel but can add it to the workspaces toolbar.. you can do this yourself (was one of the first things I did).. by way of the 'Add or remove buttons' option of a toolbar (worksets are in 'Workspace' category). You can either add the entire Window->Worksets item (my preference do I can more easily access the other menu items too), or just the list of worksets.. depending on what you want.

HTH.

Cheers..

Ian
Re: likes, dislikes and suggestions in v8
Veteran

Which version did you upgrade from? I didn't have the time to upgrade to version 8 yet, but I think most of the changes you listed already existed in version 7: Confused

mike_wain wrote:
..... the path in the tab when having files with the same name open is particulary useful.

Such a feature already exists in v7.

mike_wain wrote:
..... the new docking mechanism is good too

Wasn't this a v7 feature, too? Or has it changed again?

mike_wain wrote:
.... can no longer click on a file in workspace and rename- now have to right click, select rename

It's the same in v7.

mike_wain wrote:
.... worksets are a good start - be nice if...

1. you had to "save" them to change their contents - so you could reload a workset later and get back the original file set rather than just where you left off.

Hm, from the description on the website ("Using Worksets you can effectively take a snapshot of PHP IDE at any moment and restore it at any time") I thought they'd work exactly that way. Well, I'll see... Wink

Cheers,
Jan
Site Admin

Enigma wrote:
I thought they'd work exactly that way

well, yes if you switch from one Workspace to another.
What if you switch from one project to another?
or from one task to another task in the same project?
Workset is a feature that tracks all the breakpoints, list of files, their docking (yes with v8 you can dock editors too), tab groups (yes this is a new features) and so forth -- the most needed context of your work. This all is saved and restored when you switch from task to task.
Regarding new features, don't forget about ssh tunnels for debugging Smile, support for ssh pageant, and many speed-up improvements - in startup code and code completion (especially while function call tooltips are shown).
-dmitri

Thanks for your reply, Dmitri. I guess I have to upgrade as soon as possible. Wink

Cheers,
Jan

I'd like the ability to dock the worksets windows somewhere in my layout, only thing missing from my layout at the moment.

Apologies if I have missed the docking ability but can't seem to see a way to dock the window, worksets window is modal.

For now Shift-Ctrl-W is fine but it would be nice to be able to remove that step and see the list all the time.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlackGasSend private messageVisit poster's website

mike_wain wrote:
.... can no longer click on a file in workspace and rename- now have to right click, select rename - understand it might be to prevent mistaken renames but putting it as "option" would be nice.

F2 has always worked and still does Smile
Veteran

As its related, i'd like to add it here:

Worksets- It would be really helpful if the work set name was displayed in the program title bar, at the top of the page. At the moment, it shows "PHPEd - workspace :: project - [filename]"

If this could be changed to the following it would be great: PHPEd - workspace :: project :: workset - [filename]
likes, dislikes and suggestions in v8