NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Do you ever need to work directly on remote servers to make small changes without downloading all the files, making local changes and then reuploading files?
Very often
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Sometimes
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Never
60%
 60%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 5

KDE protocols file box support

A feature that still keeps me to Quanta on linux is the support for KDE open/save box where you can use the KDE builtin IO protocols (ftp, fish). This way I can work on remote server through ftp, ssh with no problem. I guess using KDE support will break windows version, so it would be better if you built the ability to work through ssh/ftp into PHPEd.
If I try to work through samba on the remote servers, if they are over 100ms far the file explorer hangs from time to time trying to refresh the folder Sad. It is not very productive.
Site Admin

I prefer to work with my projects using notebook. So I keep all the files on the local disk and publish back to the server only changed files. It's a one-way synchronization and therefore works fast and reliable.
Don't miss smart upload feature that filters out all non-modified files.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

not everybody has a laptop

actually, laptop is not involved much...
If you oftne chage you workplace, you can store project in CVS repository. It's even better because you always can roll-back your site to a specified snapshot/date.

I think we are loosing the point. Even with cvs if you don't have a local webserver to test in real situation the current script you will have to:
- checkin
- go to remote server
- checkout
While with Quanta I just press Ctrl+S and can test on the server ... and checkin when I have a working thing.
And don't tell me I can test it with the PHPEd debugger because there might be differences between php version on server and PHPEd
My problem is that I don't have Quanta on Windows and working through ssh on remote hosts it a problem.
Site Admin

In PHPED you can also press Ctrl-S and have all files saved and simultaneously posted to the the upload queue. SmartSync would filter out all non-modified files.
To get the effect you'd assign Ctrl-S shortcut to SaveAll function, then check AutoUpload option which is on IDE tab in the settings dialog.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

I did not think of that.. using what protocol does it do the Sync? Is it encrypted? I mean I am working with sensitive data sometimes..
Site Admin

no, phped does not support encrypted protocols, yet.
KDE protocols file box support