NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Joomla 1.5 Debugging/Different PCs/phpEd Debugging Problems

At work I have phpEd installed but I am still using version 5.2 and debugging with Joomla 1.5 on my local PC works just fine.

However, here at home I have phpEd 5.5 installed and debuggin Joomla 1.5 doesn't go so well.

When I try to debug (starting by opening index.php) I always use the "Run to Cursor" option so that execution will flow all the way until my breakpoints which are set in Joomla's module files. At work, when I click Run to Cursor it does exactly that, but at home when I click Run to Cursor all of the debug icons get grayed out (Step Into, Step Over, Step Out, and Run to Cursor) and phpEd just acts very slow until I either stop the debugging session or kill Apache.

At first I thought this was being caused by mod_rewrite being enabled, but after disabling it and retrying debugging was still the same.

There's another post here in the forums that sort of mentions a similar issue with phpEd 5.5 but there didn't seem to be a good solution to the problem.

Any suggestions?
Related to Why is phpEd stopping at every blue dot problem

My problem seems to be related to the "why is phpEd stopping at every blue dot" problem:
why-debugger-stop-at-every-blue-dot-t5207.html

But I have tried the only solution offered in that thread (creating a new workspace and adding the projects manually) but that did not work.

I was running build 5519 of phpEd 5.5 so I also went ahead and upgraded to build 5522 and that almost got it working, but there were some breakpoints listed in my .dsk file for files that no longer existed that were causing errors to pop up (but phpEd was actually running to the cursor in my program, which was nice).

So I thought that it was working but those breakpoint mapping errors were annoying so I found the problem in the .dsk file and deleted it so that it could be recreated and then when I tried creating breakpoints again I was back to getting the same (not working) behavior for "Run to Cursor".

So on the one hand it was working but with errors, and on the other hand I corrected the errors but then it was no longer working so I am back to where I was.

I also tried to see if I could go back to 5.2 since I have a copy of it I downloaded at work on my flash drive, but after installing it and trying to enter in my serial number it tells me that it isn't valid when it is so I just reinstalled 5.5.

This is a big pain for me since it really limits my debugging to short scripts where it isn't a problem to step through each blue dot, but for anything complex (like the Joomla modules I am working on) it makes it impossible to debug my code because I really need to let the execution Run to my breakpoints but it is not working.

Any help would be appreciated,

-Omar
Possible Fix

I just tried enabling DBG as a Zend Extension rather than a normal PHP extension after reading another thread here that mentioned something to that effect:
zend_extension_ts="C:\xampp\php\ext\dbg-php-5.2.dll"
zend_extension_ts = "\xampp\php\zendOptimizer\lib\ZendExtensionManager.dll"
zend_extension_manager.optimizer_ts = "\xampp\php\zendOptimizer\lib\Optimizer"

And then tried debugging again and I didn't run into the same problems so I think I may have found the solution:
If you are using DBG as a PHP extension then change that to a Zend Extension and it should clear up some of the hanging/Run to Cursor issues that I was experiencing.

Cheers,

-Omar
Not really...

After typing my last reply I went back and I tried it again and it didn't work, so I don't know why it decided to work that one time.
Veteran

Hi there - we can not reproduce it nomatter how hard we are trying. Could you please post an example here and phpinfo - or send it to tech support if you are not comfortable placing it on the forum.
Many thanks!
Email Sent

Yury,

I've gone ahead and sent you an email and hopefully it will help in resolving this issue Smile.
Re: Email Sent

orware wrote:
Yury,

I've gone ahead and sent you an email and hopefully it will help in resolving this issue Smile.

Could someone give us some explanation if this was solved? I get the similar problem while debugging with joomla, the pc is not freezing, in fact I can start tracing ok in the environment but after some setps the output is a blank screen and the debugging no longer works... or the Apache crashes... any clues?
Joomla 1.5 Debugging/Different PCs/phpEd Debugging Problems