NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Issue (Bug?) using Smart Sync

Hi,

today I figured that there seems to be a problem with smart sync (FTP).

I started "Smart Sync Download" to get a file changed on the server only downloaded to my local sources.

File on the server (ls -la):
2007-08-29 13:45 raffle.html

File on my HDD (dir):
29.08.2007 02:22 raffle.html

With this, the file located on the server is definately newer than the one on my HDD.

But running Smart Sync Download for this file doesn't download the newer file, I get this message instead:

"Smart Skip: Target file is newer then source one: [29.08.2007 2:22:58 vs 21.08.2007 13:00:00]"

I don't know where PhpEd gets the second timestamp from, but it's not the one, my Linux Server is reporting to me.
Even using a FTP client to check the timestamp don't show any other value.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue on my hand or is this a bug?

Punga

Veteran

I have had inconsistent behaviour too when using SmartSync with FTP. The only reliable way to use it is using SFTP. I posted some questions and comments about this in this thread: time-offset-for-smart-sync-t3550.html

With SFTP, smartsync has has the ability to set the time of files on the remote server, ensuring a perfect sync Wink

Hi anno,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately SFTP is no option for me because SSH-access to my server is very restricted.

Using FTP to determine the timestamp of a remote file should be no problem at all so I think a fix would help us all out Smile

Cheers
Punga
Site Admin

Quote:
Using FTP to determine the timestamp of a remote file should be no problem at all

shouldn't be, but the problem is with it. If you look into FTP standards, you won't find directory listing commands at all. Nowadays, almost all FTP servers support 'ls' and some support even 'ls -la', they still return information in human-readable format which in some cases can not be propertly recognized.
Instead of FTP, SFTP provides file attributes in a standard way and therefore it's far more reliable when you work with Smart-sync.