NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Integrating Mercurial with PHPEd
Veteran

This is a very basic integration, but should make your life MUCH easier if you are using Mercurial (Hg). This is a work in progress and I anticipate better things when TortoiseHG 0.4 or 0.5 come out.

Background

Mercurial is a great DVCS (Distributed Version Control System) that is mostly a command line tool, with windows integration using the excellent TortoiseHg tool. I've gotten VERY USED to using keyboard shortcuts within PHPEd to commit single file commits into CVS (I hit CTL-SHIFT-M to open up a CVS commit dialog within PHPEd) and wanted to do the same thing for Mercurial, which we're considering switching to.

This tutorial should save you some time since I figured out the commands necessary. Also, previously it was impossible to to integrate Mercurial with PHPEd due to a bug in Mercurial, which was very promptly fixed by the Mercurial devs when I reported it to their mailing list.

Keep in mind that using TortoiseHg already gives you tortoise functionality in PHPEd's file browser, but my problem is that I like keyboard shortcuts.

Requirements:

• Mercurial 1.0 or greater. Previous versions (eg Mercurial 0.9.5) DO NOT work due to a bug that was fixed for 1.0. The version here works: http://mercurial.berkwood.com/
  • I'm using PHPEd 5.2. Your mileage may vary if you are using 4.x

What to do: Creating a Commit Shortcut

• Install Mercurial if you have not already. I've installed mine to c:\development\Mercurial\
  • Go to PHPEd Settings > Tools > Integration
  • Create a new menu called "Hg" (or Mercurial or whatever you want to call it)
  • Create a new Sub Menu called "Hg Commit"
  • Edit "Hg Commit" with the following settings:

• Execute with "Shell"
    • Command line: c:\development\Mercurial\hg.exe commit @Name@ --cwd @Path@
    • Check off "Show this command in File Bar popup" (optional)
    • Shortcut: CTL-SHIFT-M (or anything you like)
    • Check off Redirect Error stream to Log Window and Redirect Output to Window

Now if you are editing a file all you have to do is type your shortcut to commit it. It will open up Notepad, which you type your commit message into, and save/close, and it will commit. Commit results and errors are output into PHPEd's Log. Pretty handy!

To setup nifty Annotate and Log features you do exactly as above except the command lines are:

Code:

c:\development\Mercurial\hg.exe annotate -un @Name@ --cwd @Path@

and

Code:

c:\development\Mercurial\hg.exe log @Name@ --cwd @Path@

For the annotate I used some options so it would include the name of the author for each line (by default Hg doesn't show this, while CVS does).

After using the above Make the following changes:

• Make sure Redirect Output to log window is NOT CHECKED
  • Save Output to file: c:\windows\temp\hg_log.txt
  • Check off Open File and enter "c:\windows\temp\hg_log.txt" under "In editor"

The above steps opens up the log entry results in PHPEd. Very handy for me!

Hope this helps. When TortoiseHg 0.4 or 0.5 is working fine we can create integration with its handy "visual log" and, more importantly, QCT based visual commits which will let you open up a commit dialog to commit multiple files in one go.

Thanks a lot for posting the steps. Ill try and follow it and see it if works.

Are there any updates, im using TortoiseHg 0.8

I followed your steps

But the Commit did not work

I get the foollwing error:

Quote:
Script Failed to run command "D:\Program", error code: 2, system description: "The system cannot find the file specified. 2:11:32 PM

Here are my Commit Settings:
Command Line: D:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\hg.exe commit @Name@ --cwd @Path@

Execute with: Shell
Guru master

You need to put the D:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\hg.exe between quotes:

"D:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\hg.exe" commit @Name@ --cwd @Path@

As stated in the error the shell attempts to execute D:\Program, which is an invalid command
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Blizz wrote:
You need to put the D:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\hg.exe between quotes:

"D:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\hg.exe" commit @Name@ --cwd @Path@

As stated in the error the shell attempts to execute D:\Program, which is an invalid command

That was the problem. It works fine now.

Now, is it possible to use Notepad++ or TortoiseHg's own Commit window instead of using Notepad
Guru master

That would be a TortoiseHG option and not something I can help you with as I don't know the program.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Blizz wrote:
That would be a TortoiseHG option and not something I can help you with as I don't know the program.

Presently, the above integration for Mercurial, brings up Notepad when Committing changes. It asks for summary of the commit.

What i like is that instead of opening notepad, it should open some other program.
Guru master

Yes and I understood what you were asking but as I said, IF it is possible you'd have to configure that in TortoiseHG and not in PhpED.

Blizz wrote:
Yes and I understood what you were asking but as I said, IF it is possible you'd have to configure that in TortoiseHG and not in PhpED.

Ok Thanks.

Can PHPed integrate Mercurial support such as they have to CVS. Netbeans has a good integration.

Hi guys,

For those who want to use the Mercurial's graphical client to commit (TortoiseHg) within their favorite PHP IDE, here's a simple workaround for Windows plateforms :
You need to download and install a small program : SlickRun (a command line using a list of personnal keywords) Look here :

Here's an example (with the default keybord shortcuts)
Call SlickRun : WIN+Q
Type : setup
Click : New MagicWord
Create something like this :
MagicWord : hgProjectName
Filename : C:\Program Files\TortoiseHg\thgw.exe
Start Mode : Default windows
Startup Path : D:\projects\myProject\www <-- Here's the path to your project's root
Parameters : commit

Then all you have to do to commit is :
Call SlickRun : WIN+Q
Type : hgProjectName

Enjoy Smile
Integrating Mercurial with PHPEd