NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
installing debugger on shared host: issues and work-arounds

I am by now pretty familiar with setting up phped and dbg in a remote, controlled server. Now, however, I've strapped on my boots and am trying to install dbg on a remote shared hosting account. Can it be done?

- php.ini override in public_html (web root) is allowed and points to dbg.so
- dbg.so is in a directory above web root
- testing to see if it works:
-- typing "php -v" at the command prompt from within public_html reports that the debugger component is enabled on the server
-- hitting phpinfo() from the browser does not show the debugger as being enabled

Question:
- Am I seeing "two different configurations" of php between cli and browser?

Please help me provide the right questions and answers for my host to get this rolling there.. or if it can't be done, then I need to hear that..

thanks for the great software
-bronius
Site Admin

Quote:
- Am I seeing "two different configurations" of php between cli and browser?

You may want to check php_ini_scanned_files() output.
Looks like you have different settings for php cli vs php apache module.
BTW, it's hardly possible to load a php extension without restarting apache. So maybe it just does not see your changes.

Reply from shared host:
Quote:
php info will show your main server php.ini info and not yours..

bwah. This verifies what you replied. Regarding php_ini_scanned_files(), it looks like the ini setting is off in apache config, so no dice there..

Am I correct that the only way to get this rolling is to work with the shared host now? Do you have any tips toward that end? Has anyone had any luck loading with something like http://www.php.net/dl ?
Site Admin

dl() is to be called from a php script and what is dl()'ed will work only for the script called dl(). There is no way to load an extension persistenly.

Regarding sharedhosting, I think it's your provider decision whether a particular extension can be loaded or not. Please try to work with them and we'll help you with providing all related info should it be requested.