NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Installing dbg 2.20.2 on SunOS 5.9

I've followed the instructions in another post in this forum to install the debugger to the "T". I have successfully installed (and used) the debugger on FreeBSD systems plenty of times, so I feel like a pro! However, I can not get the debugger extension to load on our one and only SunOS (v5.9) Intel based server, to save my life!

I've set up the php.ini file to log errors. When Apache / PHP start up is this is logged in the PHP error_log file:
[27-Nov-2007 12:50:00] PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/dbg.so-4.3.x' - ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/dbg.so-4.3.x: symbol OnUpdateInt: referenced symbol not found in Unknown on line 0

I tried renaming the PhpEd debugger module in /usr/local/lob/php/extensions to ensure the file extension indicated it was a dynamic link library (.so). Same.

I tried a newer version of the debugger file from our PhpEd 4.6 Windows/PC install (using version 4.6.3 (Build 4633). The symptom is slightly different, but I suspect the problem is the same. The start up error:
[27-Nov-2007 12:54:51] PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_4.3.x_nossl.so' - ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_4.3.x_nossl.so: symbol zend_ini_boolean_displayer_cb: referenced symbol not found in Unknown on line 0

I did a lot of googling on this and similar errors. No real help.

Just for laughs, I tried loading a 5.0 and a 5.2 PHP compliant debug module, but no good:
[27-Nov-2007 14:19:55] PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_5.2.x_nossl.so' - ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_5.2.x_nossl.so: symbol OnUpdateLong: referenced symbol not found in Unknown on line 0

[27-Nov-2007 14:23:25] PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_5.0.x_nossl.so' - ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_5.0.x_nossl.so: symbol OnUpdateLong: referenced symbol not found in Unknown on line 0

It seems that the PHP CLI can load the module, but the PHP within Apache2 can not. This is evident in the details below. php -i shows the debugger module loaded. But phpinfo() from a PHP script accessed via the web (via Apache2 web server, in a browser does not).

Details regarding PHP and Apache2:

$ php -v
PHP 4.3.10 (cli) (built: Mar 1 2005 19:08:13)
Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies
with DBG v2.20.2, (C) 2000,2006, by Dmitri Dmitrienko

Can anyone shed some light on the cause of my problem, and perhaps, a suggested solution?

TIA
Site Admin

dbg 2.20.2 ?!
It was released almost 2 years ago and we had no modules for Solaris 9/intel by that time.
Honestly, we have no modules for this platform today either. The minimal supported Solaris is 10 if you run it on Intel hardware and v8 in case of Sparc or Ultrasparc.

My bad. I double checked. This is *NOT* an Intel based machine. It's a sparc processor. I've been working so much with the FreeBSD's that I hosed this detail - and an important detail it is.

$ uname -X
System = SunOS
Node = blueberry
Release = 5.9
KernelID = Generic_112233-11
Machine = sun4u
BusType = <unknown>
Serial = <unknown>
Users = <unknown>
OEM# = 0
Origin# = 1
NumCPU = 2

$ uname -i
SUNW,Sun-Fire-V240
$ uname -m
sun4u
$ uname -p
sparc

Is there a newer module, less than 2 years old??? We just upgraded to PhpEd 4.6 this year. There seems to be no place on the Nusphere web site to download updated remote debugger modules (at least that I could find). So, I figured we were stuck with what was installed by the PhpEd installer. It seems to me that there should be a remote debugger module that I can install and successfully load on the Sun box - even if it is on an old 5.9 release. The debug modules delivered with PhpEd suggest they were built for 5.8, which should be binary compatible with 5.9.

What can I do?
Site Admin

Quote:
We just upgraded to PhpEd 4.6 this year

congratulations, but what we have right now is PhpED 5.2 that comes with dbg 3.2.7
If what you purchased is PhpED PRO or ADVANTAGE, you have full access to all updates in between including the lates builds of 5.2.

Regarding updates, they are available after you log in under the account you created when purchased the product.

Regarding dbg-2.20.2 and Solaris 9, it's supposed to work fine. What you need is to check bitness of your apache binary and choose either 32bit or 64bit modules that are shipped with PhpED 4.6. Do not forget to check php version too. It's not necessarily to be the same as version of php-cli. You need to run phpinfo() on Apache for such checks.

First off - I want to thank you for your replies. Regardless of whether I get to my end result, I appreciate your trying to help.

bitness - I checked that initially.

$ file /usr/local/bin/httpd
/usr/local/bin/httpd: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC32PLUS Version 1, V8+ Required, dynamically linked, not stripped
$ file /usr/local/bin/php
/usr/local/bin/php: ELF 32-bit MSB executable SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, not stripped
$ file /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/*
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/dbg.so-4.3.10: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/old: directory
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_4.3.x_nossl.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_4.3.x_wssl.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_4.4.x_nossl.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_4.4.x_wssl.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_5.0.x_nossl.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_5.1.x_nossl.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_5.2.x_nossl.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped
/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/phped_dbg_5.2.x_wssl.so: ELF 32-bit MSB dynamic lib SPARC Version 1, dynamically linked, stripped

My original post had the phpinfo output, from both the PHP CLI (via php -i) and the web browser output (via phpinfo() php script via the apache web server). Both are the same version, and came from the same March 1 build.

What's interesting is that the PHP CLI works, but the Apache linked PHP does not. Works - meaning, successfully loads the dbg module. Is this a clue I can work with?
Site Admin

Quote:
[27-Nov-2007 12:50:00] PHP Warning: Unknown(): Unable to load dynamic library '/usr/local/lib/php/extensions/dbg.so-4.3.x' - ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/httpd: fatal: relocation error: file /usr/local/lib/php/extensions/dbg.so-4.3.x: symbol OnUpdateInt: referenced symbol not found in Unknown on line 0

This error mean that OnUpdateInt in somehow missed in php4apache.so module. Please check its exports with for example nm utility. If it's not there, I'd recommend you to rebuild php from sources.