NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Installation assistant script?

Hello, I'm considering to use Nu-Coder for the deployment of an evaluation version of a PHP software that I want to sell.

In such scenario, the installation of PhpExpress can be an obstacle for the (non-technical) user, therefore I want to make it as easy as possible.

I see 2 difficulties:
1) the user needs to edit the php.ini file
2) the user needs to choose the correct extension file

If dl() works, editing php.ini file can be avoided, otherwise there's no workaround to it.

However regarding the correct file to use, I feel that you make it really hard: depending on the OS, 32/64 CPU, glibc version and PHP version the user needs to download a different tar.gz file, then they need to extract from it the correct file.

I wonder if you have some kind of helper script that would auto-detect and download the exact file needed. I'm mostly aiming to Linux.

Regards,

Jaume.

Additional question: in order to simplify the installation on Linux, can I use the lowest common denominator? This is, the files for glibc 2.3 and 32 bit processor.

In other words:

- will the extension for glibc 2.3 work also with glibc 2.7+?
- will the 32 bits extension work also with 64 bits?

+regards

Jaume
Site Admin

Quote:
owever regarding the correct file to use, I feel that you make it really hard: depending on the OS, 32/64 CPU, glibc version and PHP version the user needs to download a different tar.gz file

No, it's not we who made all the platforms imcompatible Smile
Try to run a binary compiled for 64bit Linux under 32bit one and you'll see weird results eventhough the Linuxes are of the same version/distribution!

Quote:
I wonder if you have some kind of helper script that would auto-detect

You may want to try to adapt dbg-wizard script that detects platform and CPU and suggests correct debugger module. PhpExpress is available under almost the same platforms.

Quote:

Sure, and glibc-2.7 modules will not be available in the next version.

Quote:
will the 32 bits extension work also with 64 bits?

no. It must be the same as php. If php is 32bit, phpextension should be 32bit. If php is 64bit, all its extensions must be 64bit too.

jaumesb wrote:
Additional question: in order to simplify the installation on Linux, can I use the lowest common denominator? This is, the files for glibc 2.3 and 32 bit processor.

In other words:

- will the 32 bits extension work also with 64 bits?

+regards

Jaume

Ma be this helps but i find Linux very hard to instal so i did it by my friend.. lol
Installation assistant script?