NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Install debug on shared server

I am using a hosting service (HostingZoom.com) - and have successfully configured a custom php.ini module.

Just for background - the only way they allow custom php.ini is by 1st configuring .htaccess (in public_html) with the following line:
Code:
Action application/x-httpd-php5 /php5.cgi

which points to the file php5.cgi file:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/php5 -c /home/MY_DOMAIN/php.ini

This is working (have tested custom features like append and prepend files)

NOW for the debugger -

Because this is a shared hosting scenario, I don't have access to directories above /home/MY_DOMAIN. Didn't think this matters, because I can tell php (through php.ini) where the debug file is (SOMEONE PLEASE CONFIRM). I placed the dbg.so-5.2.x in my uppermost dir (/home/MY_DOMAIN/), and added the necessary zend_extension line and [debug] sections in my custom php.ini:

Code:
[Zend]
zend_optimizer.optimization_level=15
zend_extension_manager.optimizer=/usr/local/Zend/lib/Optimizer-3.2.0
zend_extension_manager.optimizer_ts=/usr/local/Zend/lib/Optimizer_TS-3.2.0
zend_optimizer.version=3.2.0

zend_extension=/home/MY_DOMAIN/dbg.so-5.2.x

zend_extension=/usr/local/Zend/lib/ZendExtensionManager.so
zend_extension_ts=/usr/local/Zend/lib/ZendExtensionManager_TS.so

[debugger]
debugger.enabled=on
debugger.profiler_enabled=on 
debugger.hosts_allow= XX.XX.XXX.XXX localhost
debugger.hosts_deny=ALL
debugger.ports=7869, 10000/16

I run a phpinfo(), dbg-wizard.php and PhpED debug. All 3 tell me something like 'I noticed that DBG (PHP DEBUGGER) is NOT INSTALLED'

Help
Veteran

In my experience, the DBG module must be loaded before the Zend Optimizer module. Your php.ini loads it the other way round. I suggest you move zend_extension=/home/MY_DOMAIN/dbg.so-5.2.x line to before the [Zend] section.

OK - so I am incrementally getting closer. To get to my current point (still not working - but close), I have made just about every mistake possible. Here are some things to watch out for:

1) make sure you are using the correct version of the dbg.so-5.2.x debugger (there is one in the x86 folder and one in the x86_64 folder - rookie mistake, I know)

2) I kept getting a 'Failure, core dump' message when using the x86 glibc 2.7 version. I couldn't figure out how to get my hoster's version of glibc, so I just tried the 2.3 version, and I seem to be 'better'.

I am currently getting a 'undefined symbol: OnUpdateLong' while loading the 2.3 version. Other posts are telling me that this is something to do with php4. But, as I stated in posts above, I am running php5 (confirmed by dbg-wizard page).

Marching forward (looking for suggestions)...

Still need help:

I am seeing from another post that OnUpdateLong error is caused by compiling php w/ '--enable-versioning'

problems-installing-debugger-solved-t2405.html

But I can't re-compile php on my shared server (can I?)

I am stuck - any suggestions?

Making incremental improvements.

There seems to be no errors when I rung pages - only when I test my server from ssh command line will I get the OnUpdateLong error.

When I run pages through the browser, I don't get any errors, and I get the following message from dbg-wizard.php:

DBG (PHP DEBUGGER) Version 3.2.14 is INSTALLED

Yea!

Now I try to use the debugger button on the client side (in PhpEd) for a simple 'hello world' index.php, and I get a popup telling me that the debugger has timed out (could not conntect to the server).

Trying the solve the next problem...

Any help would be appreciated (I have a correctly installed server dbg - I can't seem to get my client-side debugger to communicate with it).

Thanks all in advance,

Found this article about timeouts-

tip-troubleshooting-debugger-communications-t579.html#2264

Step one:
Quote:
1. Make sure that debugger module has the same version as dbglistener. PhpED 3.3 comes with DBG-2.16 and can work with DBG-2.16 only.

Took me a while to figure that the 'dbglistener' was the little satellite icon on the icon bar. Opening it up had, and hitting the i (information) incon tells me that the PHP DBG listener is version 3.2.14.

Server side module is: DBG (PHP DEBUGGER) Version 3.2.14 is INSTALLED (got this line from dbg-wizard.php)

Ok so far...
Veteran

Have you tried my suggestion to load the DBG module before the Zend Optimizer module? If the Zend Optimizer is not needed, you might be better off not load it at all.

Sorry about not responding anno, but yep, I tried that, and it didn't seem to make much of a difference on my specific configuration.

As far as I can tell, I have actually progressed: The DBG module seems to be loading on the server! (dbg-wizard.php tells me so- Yea). Because it's a publicly hosted server, and my client is operating through a firewall, PHP DBG listener (desk top) doesn't seem to be communicating with the server DBG module. (I tried and failed on a few of the telnet commands)

My next step it to figure out how to get them to chat with each other through SSH.

ANNO, thanks for looping back, checking up, and throwing a recommendation into the ring. Very much appreciated.
Site Admin

please try to run debugger with IDE and check browser output. If debugger did not start debug session for a reason, it will tell you so in the browser.