NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Initial ftp directory setting

I've got the trial version, played with it a bit last night working on a client's project and everything went great.

I fired up another FTP entry to a server that didn't have me locked into my home directory and I was sitting there in front of bin, usr, home, etc (pardon the pun). I searched through the previous posts & patches and it said this was fixed as of build 3239. Was this fixed or not?

I'm eager to spend some cash on a good IDE and I'm enchanted by this one but without some basic functionality it's hard to justify the expenditure.

As far as I know there is nothing wrong in ftp client implemented in phped 3.2 . As long as you have said /var/ftp/ as a root for an ftp user, phped opens and treats this directory as / so does any other ftp client.
If after being logged in you want to jump to said /var/ftp/home/, you may want to set /home/ as an Initial Directory (see PHPED Account settings).
Anyways, PHPED ftp client will show you all the directories above and below /home/ as they are physically visible in the ftp directory tree.
If you want to set /var/ftp/home/ in the example above as an ftp root you should change chroot for the unix account you work though. In this case you'd look at ftp server software and your unix server.

You see, PHPED has nothing to do with it.
Wink
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Can't walk to initial directory using PhpED v3.3 build 3332

I am having a similar problem, but apparently for a different reason.

PhpED will not let me get to my home directory on a particular shared server. Even if I specify my initial dir (ie. /home/mydir/) it will not display it. After examining the traffic, I have a good idea why, too.

After PhpED logs in to the server, it changes to the root directory (CWD /), does a LIST, changes to home (CWD /home/), does another LIST, and appears to get stuck here.

The server won't let me list the contents of /home/ so it seems that PhpED is checking to see if the next directory is in the LIST before proceeding because it never even attempts to "CWD /home/mydir/".

It looks like it tries the "CWD /home/" + "LIST" pair twice and then gives up because it doesn't see "mydir" in the LIST.
Site Admin

Suppose you a browser that shows directory tree.
If you have a root directory and want to be jump to a directory below, you can't do it in other way but after showing all the content in all the directories above:

Code:
/
|--usr/
|  |
|  +-bin/
|  |
|  +-home/
|    |
|    +-otherdir/
|    |
|    +-mydir/
|      |

That's why phped lists all the directories.
If you want to get a tree started with mydir you have to make your ftp account be chrooted to there. See your ftp server manual pages on how to do that.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Alas, I cannot. I am only a customer on this box (a shared web hosting account). Is there a way to chroot my account without root access?

It would be nice if there was an option to make the initial directory what I'll coin as a "virtual chroot". If enabled, rather than doing a "CWD /" at login, it would use the initial directory and do "CWD /home/mydir/".

And, if "virtual chroot" is enabled and the initial directory is not set, use the result of the "PWD" command (which is already sent immediately following successful login).

Anyways, thanks for the help. In the meantime, I'll ask the hosting company if they can chroot my ftp account to my home directory.

dbraden, dmitri,

this is exactly what I asked for in 3319-bugs-questions-feature-requests-long-posting-t430.html as HomeSite has a very similar option.

We agreed that it might complicate setting up porject/mapping properties in a consistent way.

Maybe we should think about this together and try to sketch a possible solution?
Site Admin

Yeah, you're welcome to try to do it Smile
I'll review it from the insider's point of view Smile

Heya
I'm new to these forums and have just started testing NuShpere.
I've run into the exact same problem described here and would like to know if it was addressed and solved, or if there's a client side issue I need to resolve on my own.

tnx.
Initial ftp directory setting