NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Indent guides cut off

Is this normal behavior with indent guides or should be managed as bug? I've seen it occasionally in my tests today, but somehow it went away (don't know how and when), now it doesn't go away and the guides stay this way, even after restart.
Trial of the last version from yesterday (15036 x64). It was clean install with newly created project from a folder with an old test project.
Guru master

I've just done a test using a set of indented blocks similar to yours and couldn't reproduce the problem. Where my cursor is situated the same as yours, I do get all the indented guides on the left and going down.

If you want to post your whole code block (or at least enough to reproduce) I can try that.

I don't use background colours in my editor; that may have something to do with it, although even after setting some colours it still worked fine.

It worked fine after I installed and changed colors. For a while.
Then I don't lnow what happened out of nowhere, but after a while they were back to normal. Then again, and now no restart helps, and this state of the guides (just one line after the start of a block guided) is permanent for ALL files I open in the IDE, not just this on the screenshot.
THe leftmost guide seems complete but those right of it are cut off after the first line.
This seems some problem with the project settings file. I've had many problems similar to this in the past with previous versions, like after any file was opened for a couple of days in the IDE it didn't fully respect its indexes and was barely showing any symbols/classes in the Lookup Class/Symbol feature, also Ctrl+Left/Right arrow started to ignore symbols/expressions borders and was skipping large amounts of text, which was a Real PITA. And these start after a while the IDE was started. That's why they seem to be long-standing.
Sometimes deleting and recreating the project file and caches (.ppj, .idx file etc.) helped for a while. Now deleting and recreating the project didn't help - all opened files continute to have these guides cut off.
The indent guides was one of the few important things I respected in the new versions. Now it seems they are buggy as well. I only changed settings few times, did nothing fancy apart from changing the background color and the colors of the guides to follow the new background. And out of nowhere they stopped working for all files.

Just tried reverting the colors to white, changed guides to black etc., still the same. The guides no longer go down past the first line, no matter what I try. Nice.
Guru master

Strange. It almost sounds like a setting Confused Rather than broken, in your image you could construe it as an option if someone had a preference for n.

On occasion I've hit a key combination that changes a setting, then I have to hunt for an option to turn it back again.

I just tried turning various viewing options on/off, changing tab settings, etc. but nothing would make it fail.

Does right-clicking in Code Explorer and choosing Refresh help?

I've been using 15036 since 8-Apr when it was in test and haven't had much in the way of any problems. Quite a few bugs got fixed over last few versions, some that I reported myself and all fixed quickly.

I'd say it is worth you reporting.

Thanks really, for the time you took to hunt this bug with me.
But I spent (lost) another hour or two troubleshooting Just this issue and I find this too much.
I know the staff is reading this forum from time to time, maybe they could pay attention to this, or may not. I cannot outline steps to reproduce the bug and you tried yourself without success. Maybe there are some combinations of conditions or set of settings that trigger the bug, I cannot know and I spent too much time on this alone. The guides were too important feature to me. There may be thousands of supported frameworks out there, I use my own and all the "other" frameworks in the world couldn't make up for this simple feature not working, which was more important to me. The editor features and code intellisense are the most important things I value in an IDE. The second one is among the best, this I have to acknowledge.
No, right-clicking and refresh in code explorer or navigator didn't change anything.
Thanks anyway.

Edit: I found the culprit.
When the Word Wrap function is turned On and Wrap To Indent is also On in settings (default), the effect is this. Even if there are actually no wrapped lines, the guides are cut off. Wrapped lines shouldn't be a problem for guides..
When I show some tool windows on left and right of the editor, some lines just wrap in general. I can't do without word wrap, and other tested IDEs seem to not have this limitation (if it is such here), so it is possible.
Guru master

I tried word wrap with my earlier tests, but I didn't have wrap to indent on. I can now reproduce your described issue Smile

I will report to NuSphere.

Update: Reported to NuSphere and I still have older PhpED on other computers, so confirmed it *did* work correctly in older versions.

Thanks.
At first glance frankly speaking this didn't seem much of a problem Smile because I got used to word wrap wrapping at the start of the line. Now with the option to wrap to indent I see it is better Smile .
Still, I'll consider Phped in my next experiments.
Thanks again.

It is the same for me for the last month ( i think ). On 1 of my PCs. On the other is perfect.

With the last update i see some glitches when fast scrolling, so my guess is that the problem comes from there.
Hope they fix it with 16.

plugnplay, would you keep us informed if Nusphere has done anything in regard to this bug?
I have no time to monitor daily for new builds, reinstalling, rerequesting new trial licenses etc. also I'm affraid if they fix this, new bugs would be introduced. As always, there are good and bad versions/builds (many software products follow this trend), that adds to the worries.
same

same thing with me, word wrap on the indent lines are cut off, word wrap off they dont. v15036 x64

This proves to be quite critical for me, but even more critical seems to be the lack of multirow tabbar as pointed in another thread. Both threads didn't get any attention from the team, the other one is about 4 years old.
PHPEd has some (many) very good features in the editor and as IDE as a whole, but these things are too much needed so I stopped testing the 15036 build. Multirow tabbar is absolutely needed for my choice to stay on/get phped.
Nusphere were way too slow at implementing basic features over the years, yet the indexing still buggy, trying to open clases/symbols by searching occasionally stops working and presents only ten or so files (out of few thousands) after the IDE was open for few days/weeks. Restarting helps for a day or so.
Anyway, I'll monitor this thread, I'm curious how soon they'll fix this regression (as it seems it worked in previous version so it wouldn't take more than few minutes to fix it). Smile
Guru master

NuSphere have been busy on v16. I can confirm this problem is fixed in the v16 beta.
Indent guides cut off