NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
In my opinion, simply the best...

I just wanted to let folks know that I have literally spent the last 36-48 working hours intensely looking for a better editor than PhpEd (it all started because I need a javascript editor). I thought, "While I'm at it, it's time for a change - there must be something better than NuSphere's..."

6 editors and a couple critical days later, I am soooo happy those other companies offer trial versions, because I have learned a valuable lesson about the so-called "best" editors out there. Despite really wanting to find ANYTHING suitable with or without an integrated jscript editor, I found nothing even close! We are spoiled. Period.

Now if we can only get NuSphere to help us out with our javascripting... Confused

Great job guys! Keep it up!
Guru master

I have just about the same experience, I even bought some other editors. Literally spent more than a $1.000
In the end I came back to PhpED and haven't looked back since.
At least here you have the feeling it's constantly being improved.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

+1.

I have wasted $900 on other PHP editors, PHPed is the only one that is worth its money.
However I do agree that a little improved Javascript editor would be nice Smile
Guru master

I just like to add that I've tried the eclipse based PDT last weekend and I'm impressed by the progress they made over the last years. I've tried it once, long ago but yikes... but to my surprise the editor has become very pleasant to work with, all the little functionality things that I would like in PhpED are in there... unfortunately it doesn't have context sensitive help (afaik), and the entire run/debug functionality isn't even close to what PhpED has had since years.

However there are some things in eclipse that almost made me consider stepping over to it for editing....
- Tasks pane (automatically collects specific tags from your source) (@TODO etc, fully configurable)
- PHPExplorer (file explorer but opens up further to show defines, classes, functions)
- very advanced code folding
- code coverage & PHPUnit integration
- PHPDoc support is very complete (no irritating @desc to remove every time)
- Project build pane, showing a list of all problems in the entire project, down to a missing/invalid included file and XML errors
- Expandability with plugins. I added an SVN Browser (Subclipse) and Javascript debugging in a matter of seconds.

Don't take this the wrong way: I love PhpED and will probably always be using it... But if eclipse ever gets context sensitive help and a PHP Debugger in the league of NuSpheres' (which is doubtfull I guess).... Sorry guys but in that case I might consider stepping over.
This isn't a negative comment on PhpED, it is an awesome editor. I just hope that eclipses' functionality is somewhat of an indicator of where PhpED will go in the future. Just my $0.02
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Blizz,

I agree with you 100%. I'm new PhpEd user but I decided to buy license with 3-year support.

PhpEd is currently the best PHP IDE editor on market. I'm really looking forward for every new build and release because there are still few features missing. The most importand (for me) is PHPDoc support.

In my company I can't commit my work to repository without proper PHPDoc comments. Sometimes I use eclipse to make phpdoc in my classes. This drives me mad, because I need two tools for one thing.
In my opinion, simply the best...