NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Improved Terminals

Integrated terminals is very useful feature, which sometimes is used even more often than editor itself, especially after project is done and all you need is support your work on your server or server of customer.
While terminals is very comfortable now, they still require several features and fixes to perfectly fit this perfect IDE.

1) Extra fields for information about server which can be displayed in terminals tab:
Owner name
Owner contact(s)
Country
Data Center name
CPU, RAM, HDD, Network, OS
2) Grouping servers in collapsible groups
3) Separate CPU thread for each terminal, to not hang whole IDE (with further CTRL+ALT+DEL) when server is slow to response due overload etc
4) Support for storing alternate login/password for each SSH connection which can be used by right click and selecting something like "Rescue Mode", lot of DC offer rebooting server in rescue mode with different password and creating extra config or changing password each time isn't cool
5) Button on top or bottom of the terminal tab like Quick Connect which offer connect to host/login/password with checkbox to "Save credentials for further use"
6) !!!!! Ability to use SSH config for SFTP or at least option to clone SSH to SFTP and SFTP to SSH

Eh, when I sow release of 7.0 I thought there will be something done about terminals )
Site Admin

When you posted your suggestions, we have already finished coding 7.0. I don't mention that such features would be properly planned, right? And this also takes time. So there were no chances for the features to appear in v7.

Regarding your suggestions
1) probably a "comments" field in the account settings would be enough to store all the info.
2) ok
3) it's already have separated thread from the very beginning
4) I'm not sure what you're about. Just run the reboot command using sudo. You don't have to re-open terminal for this or use different credentials. Sudo will ask for password or allow you do what you whant to do depending on sudo settings you set.
5) looks like this is a part of #4
6) what settings would be cloned? hostname, port and username?

Sorry, didn't seen respond and now I'm year delayed.

dmitri wrote:
When you posted your suggestions, we have already finished coding 7.0. I don't mention that such features would be properly planned, right? And this also takes time. So there were no chances for the features to appear in v7.

I meant no offense here.
And I really don't know how much it could take to integrate requested feature to NuSphere PHPEd. Requested features are pretty small and most of them is just altering config files, or working with config files and exploiting this changes with few new buttons in interface. Like couple of hours to work on PHP for a single coder, but on MSVC++ group project probably few days excluding time for planning and discussing in group. And I'm sincerely grateful for guys like NuSphere or PHP Group. Long and hard work in low level coding of language and IDE developers make life of web developers easy and comfortable. All that modern coding miracles when You point and click few times and get fast, effective and highly functional application on C# and PHP is backed by millions of working hours of big teams with old-school assembler, C and C++ at their hands.

dmitri wrote:

Regarding your suggestions
1) probably a "comments" field in the account settings would be enough to store all the info.
2) ok
3) it's already have separated thread from the very beginning
4) I'm not sure what you're about. Just run the reboot command using sudo. You don't have to re-open terminal for this or use different credentials. Sudo will ask for password or allow you do what you whant to do depending on sudo settings you set.
5) looks like this is a part of #4
6) what settings would be cloned? hostname, port and username?

1) Yes one comments field will be enough, but detailed fields just make things more organized, also with separate details columns you can configure which columns to show and how to sort, I suppose.
2) Still no grouping of terminal accounts to groups in 8.1 =( (Yes I know you made bunch of stuff for editor itself and they are more important)
3) Well, if they have separated threads and it still hang whole IDE, I suppose there need to be tweaked something else...
4) Some (actually a lot) data centers offer rescue mode boot. If for some reason server goes down and doesn't boot up, You can order rescue mode (via control panel or via support chat) which will restart your server but load special image of linux over network. In that os you can mount your devices and find and fix errors to make system bootable again. Root password for rescue mode is different from main OS and often random generated on rescue mode boot (and then provided in support chat or in control panel). Having option to store different password just make it easier to work in such situations.
5) Quick Connect isn't part of previous feature. It just button on the top or the bottom of Terminals Tab which will pop short dialog with prompt host,port, login, password, checkbox for saving data to accounts and ability to parse SSH URIs from clipboard like ssh://login:password@host:port/path or login:password@host:port etc. That will save accounts from term_ssh1 term_ssh2 term_ssh999 rubbish, generated by once in life connection to customer's server to check or fix something. Just another little feature to improve life.
6) Host, port, user, pass (if stored), "SSH settings". Common situation: You get new project to work on it, you get server to configure and on some later stage of work you will require to move your project from your local server to remote server and proceed with development and testing on that remote server. And when this happen, you'll need to seek IM logs, emails, small notes etc with SSH credentials to make that new SFTP account, which will be similar to SSH you already have.
7) NEW! Adding some option to "chown" files uploaded over SFTP will be nice too.
Guru master

I haven't used the PhpED terminal for a *very* long time, maybe v5. I found it lacking in a few basic features so I switched over to Tunnelier. After seeing your post I decided to have a look at v8 and it has now got those lacking features, so I might start using it again Very Happy
Improved Terminals