NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
ignore this/ignore all in transliteration in global replace

Usability issue: there should be an "ignore this"/"ignore all of these errors" in the transliteration dialog window when a global find/replace detects a file it can't properly translate (or whatever is happening there..?). See screenshot attached for what I'm referring to:

Preferred behavior would allow me to skip this entire directory of PDFs and such. (ok, dmitri, yes I realize now that I should have set *.php, but I'm talking about out-of-the-box usability)

Another easier solution is to default file mask == to file extensions defined in current file type's associated file extensions.
Site Admin

I'm not sure what you are talking about.
From what I see you tried to open PDF file in the IDE and got a lot of Transliteration errors.
It's rather an expected result when a binary file is opened in a text editor.

Quote:
allow me to skip this entire directory of PDFs

and may I ask you what stopped you from doing this?

Quote:
yes I realize now that I should have set *.php

Hmm, did you unset *.php before? I'm asking because IDE does set it.

Quote:
..did you unset *.php before? I'm asking because IDE does set it.

Unfortunately, I don't recall exaclty, however, I can imagine that I was interested in including *.inc's "and any other applicable files I might not be thinking of" so it's very possible.. If so, then I would like to see that all .module and .inc's (both of which are setup as valid php extensions the IDE recognizes) file extensions show up in that default file extension mask.

Quote:
>...allow me to skip this entire directory of PDFs...
and may I ask you what stopped you from doing this?

Well, this just comes down to out-of-box usability. Now that I know to expect this behavior, I'll hopefully remember to take some measures before doing a global find-replace. What I'm suggesting is that your product's out-of-box usability would be to do what the user is most likely expecting to do at any given time: Of course you can't predict that 100% of the time, but in my case, it is pretty clear that I didn't want to dig into binary files, or at least certainly not "files that would throw a transliteration notice". However, since it did, I would have expected to say, "Ignore other files/errors of this type and continue searching/replacing as if I knew what I was doing to begin with."

Clearly this occurrence is not a bug and in fact exposed more power of PHPEd, but for usability's sake, a little choice like above would be nice to see. Linux does something similar like "Ynaq" for "Yes, no, always, or quit." Compared to this case, I had only the choices "No" and "Quit."

cheers
Site Admin

Quote:
I'll hopefully remember to take some measures before doing a global find-replace

Right, it's better to be a bit careful with global find-replace.
At least, it's always necessary to specify list of filemasks to run find/replace against.
For example, *.htm;*.html;*.php;*.inc
and this is enough to avoid problems with binary files like pdf.
Quote:
it is pretty clear that I didn't want to dig into binary files..".

It' certainly clear, but a) it's hard to distinguish binary files Smile. IDE will skip only files with masks listed in the association for pictures (see tools->settings->file associations). Feel free to add *.pdf there too.
Quote:
, or at least certainly not "files that would throw a transliteration notice

Some php files contain binary simbols, some other can't be transliterated just because their encoding is not known. For example if you have a project with UTF-8 default encoding and one of the files is in BIG-5 encoding, it will show the transliteration dialog. But still it's a php file...

Quote:
similar like "Ynaq" for "Yes, no, always, or quit." Compared to this case, I had only the choices "No" and "Quit."

Good suggestion, thanks.