NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic

Would you like an ignore binary search option included in PhpEd?
Yes
96%
 96%  [ 28 ]
No
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 29

Ignore Binary files when searching

Greetings,

I would like an option in the search dialog that allows you to ignore binary files. Or at the very least a new log type of Binary that can be filtered easily.

I know this has been brought up several times before. I've read a lot of discussions on this forum about it. But the flippant response from dmitri about using filters is unsatisfactory for a number of reasons (See list below). I even read one discussion where dmitri response to the user saying "feel free to submit a feature request in appropriate forum " and then in the request in the appropriate forum he responds with "this is not required since you can filter them out."

Discussion 1 - how-to-find-in-files-t3380-12.html
Discussion 2 - supress-skipping-binary-files-messages-during-search-t3398.html?highlight=search binary

What is the point of suggesting to a user to post a request in the appropriate forum if you're just going to tell them you're not going to do it?

Anyway, back to my request - The reasons I find the existing filtering methods infeasable are

1/ You cannot filter out binary files with a simple filter
2/ You cannot filter out the results in the log with a simple filter
3/ The time and effort required to build up a list of useful file masks for the search is annoying as everyone who purchases PhpEd has to build up a list independantly it adds up to a massive amount of time
4/ If you miss a file type in your File mask you have to do the search over again. and again... repeat ad nauseum. until you finally include every possible text file type. At which point you end up with a huge list of pointless file masks which you can't remove and then you end up typing them in manually each time because finding the appropriate one in the list is impossible.
5/ You can turn off Transliteration error results - why can't you do the same for binary? For the same reason transliteration errors don't interest me (I work in english not greek/cyrillic/sanscrit whatever - I also don't work in binary) I am not interested in binary results which don't tell me anything useful.

So I would like to request a binary search filter. Either in the Find dialog or as a Log Type. I don't care which, as long as I can turn off results which tell me stuff that is not only irrelevant but a waste of my time.

But when I have several thousand results returned with only 3 of them actually containing useful information I find the product less usable and more annoying and I'm less likely to recommend it to others.

IMO, it would seem easier, for everyone involved, if the default filter matched the file types of the templates available for new files. In other words:
  • *.html
  • *.inc
  • *.js
  • *.css
  • *.pl
  • *.php
  • *.php5
  • *.py
  • *.tpl
  • *.sql
  • *.xml

It seems logical that if you are searching in files, you want to be able to search within the same file types that the IDE can create. And that should take care of the majority of the text-based files you need to search. I guess you might need to add *.txt, but not much more.

I do agree that the whole "skipped file blah" message in the log should be done away with, or at least hidden.

Its very unnecesary to show binary file skipped messages. I have used many editors in PHP and other languages and even search softwares and only PHPEd has this type of behaviour. Those messages hide the actual searches when they are too many. I always end up using an external search software to search for texts in my projects. I hope the developers can remove them as soon as possible.

PhpED definitely needs this feature!!!

A filterable results list or a file matching wild card before the search should not be left out of this editor as with many others I have used.

pssst! while you're there, keystroke macros would be good too.

Please please please ADD this feature!!!

Searching through directories is something I use a lot!
I want to be able to exclude a directory also !!

This would save me a lot of time and make me decide sooner to use the search instead of using my very limited brainmemory ..
Veteran

nieuwhier wrote:

I want to be able to exclude a directory also !!

To exclude directory from Find in Files, open up the project and add folders into the "Hide Directories" field.

rudder wrote:
To exclude directory from Find in Files, open up the project and add folders into the "Hide Directories" field.

I have several directories that I want to exclude from searching but NOT exclude from the project.
Re: Ignore Binary files when searching

>But when I have several thousand results returned with only 3 of them actually containing useful information I find the product less usable and more annoying >and I'm less likely to recommend it to others.

Exactly. If I do I search I'm only interesed in the were it is, not were it isn't. Very annoying (like some other 'smart features')
Site Admin

Scubaticus, is it version 5.2 you're talking about or what?
If it is 5.2, would you please illustrate your post with a scrrenshot?

dmitri wrote:
Scubaticus, is it version 5.2 you're talking about or what?
If it is 5.2, would you please illustrate your post with a scrrenshot?

Sorry, but we are still at 5.0. Because we are dependent of our Sales department for downloading new versions we are unable to get the newest version ourself and it seems the sales department won't take the time to do so.........

Why cant we download new versions ourselves?

Scubaticus
Site Admin

Quote:
Why cant we download new versions ourselves?

Ask you purchasing dept. for username/password Smile