NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
IDE does not get focus when debug session starts

I have just replaced my old Windows XP 32bit laptop with a new one running Windows 7 64 bit and I have noticed something frustrating:

(1) When initiating a debug session from my browser the PhpED icon in the taskbar is highlighted, but the IDE does not get focus (ie. it remains in the background instead of being brought to the foreground). I initially thought that the debugger wasn't working at all until I clicked on the taskbar icon and then I could see it waiting for me to make the next move. With Windows XP I never had to click the icon as the IDE was brought to the foreground automatically. Is this a bug when running on Windows 7?

(2) When the debug session starts the IDE gives focus to the tab containg the running script, but does not adjust the scrolling to show the current line. This means that for a long script which finished previously at the last line and has now been halted at the first line, the window is still positioned on the last line which means that I have to scroll backwards through the script in order to find the line where the debugger stopped.
View user's profileFind all posts by TonyMarstonSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

It's SetForegroundWindow() controls which window receives focus. PhpED certainly calls this function but there are some limitations IMPOSED by the OS:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms633539(v=vs.85).aspx
If such limitation didn't allow a particular application to bring itself to foreground, task bar starts flushing corresponding button.

Regarding scrolling to the debugger's current line, I was unable to reproduce the problem.
Please contact support and provide all the details (a sample of 1-2 files would be okay)

This worked in Windows XP, so it sounds like Microsoft have stupidly disabled perfectly acceptable behaviour for no good reason.

Have you thought of using the ForceForegroundWindow function? This is documented in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms633539(v=vs.85).aspx
View user's profileFind all posts by TonyMarstonSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

and what? Those limits didn't exist even 8years ago!
Now seems they are enforced in higher level. World is changing.
Perhaps, it's an MS way of fighting aginst annoying applications?
I don't know. Ask MS.

PS
Regarding tricks with attaching gui thread (it's what behind that ForceXXXX) -- it's not a good way _because_ if it fails (because of the limits), you'll not see even flushing button in the task bar.