NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
I almost renew my subscription but ...

1 - Advanced Js Syntax is not reconised :
Code:
vtp.relation.infosToHidden = function(className, customHiddenInputs, customButton, isUnique){...}
vtp.relation.removeHr = function (className, indexToRemove, mainWin){...}

Shows in Code Navigator :
Code:
function(className, customHiddenInputs, customButton, isUnique)
function(className, indexToRemove, mainWin)

2 - "Go to definition" functionnality is good, but why not call it directly from code like "Find Declaration" does in php mode ?

3 - And the last but, the most important for me : Why didnt implement "same word highlighting" ?
(What it is : Simply dblClick on a word in code and it overlight all occurences of this word in the page.)
Now, even Notepad++ does this !
To my point of view, because of this missing, Notepad++ is a better editor than phped ^^

Hope you'll read it and so hope i'll renew my subscription soon Smile
Guru master

Despite all that I just renewed my subscription again, just to show my fate in the company that is NuSphere and the people behind it .
They did great work on this release and like all new functionality it takes some time and tweaking before all people are happy.
*showoff mode* This is my 3rd advantage renewal! Wink
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

I'm not religious, i'm pragmatic Wink

Phped is far the best php debugger, that's why i buyed it. Anyway I'd really like use only phped for dev and these bug/request are very easy to corrige/implement I think.

It's as important for them to gain/keep clients as to me to work in bests conditions.

I'd like a dev answer, a Dimitry there ?
Site Admin

regarding your code sample:
Code:
vtp.relation.infosToHidden = function(className, customHiddenInputs, customButton, isUnique){...}
vtp.relation.removeHr = function (className, indexToRemove, mainWin){...}

there is nothing to show but 2 anonymous (lambda) functions, unless vtp is known to be a variable or a function.
Anyway, JS is a new stuff in the IDE and needs some polishing that we'll do in the next updates.

2 - code insight for js is in our plans for the future
3 - Smile there are many other tricky things in the other editors. Some are extremely convenient. If you ask those developers to contribute into our IDE, we'd highly appreciate this. Otherwise, we prefer to focus on the IDE-oriented features.

1- It's used to emulate namespaces :
Code:

if (typeof vtp == 'undefined') vtp = {} //Namespace
vtp.relation = function(childClassName){
   // members & constructor
};

I tried
Code:
if (typeof vtp == 'undefined') vtp = function(){} //Namespace
but no changes.
Can't you just regex match someting like /^([a-z0-9.]*)[ =]*function\s*/i ?

2- as I thought Wink

3- I think you under-estimate benefits and needs of this functionnality, its not just a fantasy, it's important to visualises the impact of a variable (or a rename for example) on a simple doubleClick; without this you 're forced to read all lines witch is time and attention consuming !
And I'm not the only one to need it, search on google "highlight variable" : 10 600 000 responses and the first page are requests for phped ^^ (its not this post) and VisualStudio...strange that even microsoft... i shoud post on microsoft forum too Smile

I'm ok to dev this for you, i have the knowlege for, but you're not open source and far as I know, phpEd don't support plugins, so how to ?

Thanks for your attention Smile

I share xaff's point of view. The term "IDE" basically includes a powerful source code editor because this is what you do most of the time. Although phpED includes several debugging features and more, I am sure that user's of phpED use the code editor most of their time. Even if you debug code you need the editor to view/check/debug the code! So powerful editor features are not only "nice to have" features but lead to productivity gains (if used) and therefore reduce development costs (and therefore justifies money spend for phpED licenses) Smile So I would really like to see more editor features in the future. As many text manipulation functions are quite easy to include as they simply work on the text (ok, except highlighting) I would love to see more of them.

I do not share xaff's point of view. I would much rather see PHPEd development continuing on the IDE side for development of PHP programming, not some other type of code like JS. If you want an IDE for that, go get one built for that. Thats what I did. The more NuSphere distracts themselves trying to integrate every language that people wish they would do (i.e. JS, Ruby, AS, etc.) then their development on the core IDE language, PHP, will fall by the wayside. For example, PHP 5.3 is about to be released, PHPEd 5.8 just released and it has no idea about a number of 5.3 features. Maybe if NuSphere had stopped the JS work, this would have already been implemented. Stick with PHP NuSphere. You do it well, so stick with what you know. Oh, and for heavens sake, dont start doing plugin support and try to be another Eclipse. Keep it lean, clean, and mean. People who's professional career, like mine, depends on stable software to develop on. That is why I chose NuSphere and I am very pleased. You guys are a commercial company producing a commercial product. Leave the plugin crap to the shareware's.
Guru master

Dracos: I know for a fact that they are working very hard on finishing PHP 5.3 compatibility, so perhaps that is somewhat of a relief for you Smile
Other then that I pretty much agree with you.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Blizz wrote:
Dracos: I know for a fact that they are working very hard on finishing PHP 5.3 compatibility, so perhaps that is somewhat of a relief for you Smile

Other then that I pretty much agree with you.

Uff, good... Smile

I agree with Dracos and Blizz. I think that phed should concentrate on things it is doing best on market:

* best php support yes, this means you need php 5.3...
    * best debugger (watches, breakpoints)
    * very good editor
    * improve phped integration tools to be easy for us to write our own shell commands (no plugins Smile

Point 4 in more detail:

PhpEd is missing one very important thing - easily add commands to it.
Take your todo list: instead of writing your implementation of it, you should gave us this:

A) Better Integration support. What is missing? Just three simple! things:

A.1) PhpEd should have CLI option, which says OPEN file X and JUMP to line Y.
    Then we can use couple of third commands and ... goto affected line!

A.2) Make the log window clickable. Then we can output something to it with our command,
    ie. Framework.php, 125. After clicking, it will jump to the selected lines in editor.

A.3) Fix problems with macro replacing when calling external scripts

With those simple enhancement, you will give us tool to make scripts, which can be for use for
whole community. Ie - checking, testing, linting, code creation, PhpUnits, CodeSniffer, todo list Wink
... you name it.

B) Better community support.

PhpEd has a great community and great people here. Look on Blizz - he is in fact doing
user support! Listen to him and his opinions and at least answer to his ideas/questions.

Look at Integration Scripts thread, where we should post our scripts. It is so derogatory. This is place where
we should post scripts and share them. Hmm...
You should value people who do something for the community, if not give them guidance hand.

I really like PhpEd, I am paying user for 5 years now, so please take this criticism positive.

Many Thanks

Dracos, you missunderstood my request.

1- Js stuff are there because in last phped, they implemented it and some functionnality are not complete, I just post an info to tell it to nusphere, nothing more.
2- I request for the highlight feature because, as professionnal, I miss it everyday, and when i refator a function i must open files twice phped+notepad++ just for this little thing.
3- I took about plugin, because of Dmitri said :
Quote:
"If you ask those developers to contribute into our IDE, we'd highly appreciate this.".

So I said that to evidence that's noway to contribute as an external dev, but if there's a manner that I don't know I will help.

Ruby, along with Perl and Python are competitors to PHP, but JavaScript is a complement to it. It's unusual to need one of the former in a PHP project, but it's common for a web developer to have to work with JavaScript and PHP at the same time, so it makes sense to have one IDE do a great job at both.

As for highlighting a word: I understand how highlighting all occurrences of a word is useful, particularly for refactoring, but it's not something I'd consider high up on the list. If they're going to address refactoring at all, I'd rather see smart refactoring methods.

Regardless, please keep user interaction distinct from functionality. I realize that if you're used to things working that way, you'll miss it, but think about other times when you really don't need double click to highlight elsewhere - for cut and paste, searching other files, etc. Flicker may not distract you, but I have a very hard time with visual distractions.
I almost renew my subscription but ...