NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
How to solve slow dbg + PHPEd?
Veteran

Hi there,

I have a problem where PHPEd will take 12-20 seconds to enter, or exit debug mode. During those 12-20 seconds PHPEd is completely unresponsive and even my entire system is quite laggy.

I am running PHPEd 5.6 Build 5632. DBG Listerner is 3.6.9. My system is a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with 2GB of RAM in Windows XP SP3.

What I'm trying to figure out is how does one go about determining what causes this problem? I thought maybe I had too many projects in my workspace - 8, so I made a new workspace with only 2 projects. It is still slow. I've tried closing all files, I've tried rebooting, restarting PHPEd, etc.

One thing I notice is that sometimes after a reboot PHPEd only takes 5-6 seconds to enter debug mode. My teammates can all get into debug mode in less than 6 seconds, and one teammate who just started using his PHPEd on another project gets into debug mode within 1-2 seconds.

Symptoms:
* PHPEd window is unuseable during the wait
* Sometimes the window cannot even be viewed properly, it behaves like those programs which are hanging
* One of my CPU cores is used at 100% during the 12-20 second wait.

Some ideas I had:

* PHPEd is trying to find the appropriate project to enable, even though my mappings are correct.
* PHPEd is reading through the project, the projects ppx files are as big as 10MB, but the one I am looking at right now is around 4.8MB
* Perhaps something else, like the IE or Firefox integrated browser is causing the hangup? Is that possible?
* PHPEd is trying to rewrite the graphical interface and timing out? PHPEd keeps separate GUI prefs like window positions in the debug and non-debug modes.
* Perhaps it is my Code Insight? All my projects have around 4 other directories in the Code Insight.

Just out of interest, are you using the built in server (SRV), another server on your local machine (like apache), or an external server?
Site Admin

Normally it takes ~1-5 milliseconds to start debug session and about 1/10 seconds to change the window layout in the IDE. Depending on the network performance (bandwidth and latency) it may take slightly more time to start. I'd estimate debug session startup time as 1/10 + (latency) * 2
where latency is the delay you see when you ping your server with packets of 1kB (try ping -l 1024 -t myserver).

If startup time is longer than that, please check if you have unneeded entries in the Watch and Breakpoints windows.
Some time ago I saw a developer who had 500+ breakpoints and about 100+ lines in the Watch. With his poor machine and network it took quite some time to send all the data accross the Ocean Smile

Also please check debugger settings and make sure that "Run profiler with debugger" is not checked. If it is checked, IDE will refresh profiler data right after debug session is finished (each time it is finished) and depending on the project size, time for this refresh may vary. This affects session finish time.

Please also check your firewall. It's known that some firewalls aren't that fast when they're snooping into the traffic and searching for "presonal data".

Finally, make sure that you're running the latest update of PhpED.

Thanks for the reply. So I was right about how fast this thing should be. Here is some info:

- I'm using External 3rd party server (Apache on a dev machine in our intranet)
- Ping to that machine using (ping -l 1024 -t myserver) is < 1ms
- I usually have around 10-15 breakpoints and 15 or so Watchlist. I deleted my watchlist with no effect.
- profiling is turned off for debug
- I have debugger in UTF-8 mode. Not sure if this affects it.
- I had windows firewall turned on. I turned it off but it is still very slow (it might have shaved off 1-2 seconds?).

I tried this in a workspace with only one project (not a huge one).

2 watchlist
9 breakpoints

I timed 7-11 seconds to get into debugger. 10 seconds to exit

I tried switching between the three options of SRV, LOCAL, and 3rd party and they all perform around the same (I'm changing this in both the Tools > Settings and in the project settings). Again, members of my team who are in the same office as me get 1second and at most 3-4second debug start/stop and we all use the same 3rd party dev server, on the same intranet.
Site Admin

I think it's something related to your machine and further iterations (in order to help you) may require sensitive info. Could you please contact nusphere support and proceed with their suggestions? I'll keep monitoring the issue.