NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
how to select a line?

I can't figure out how to select lines. Clicking in the left margin doesn't work.

If I click in the very narrow space to the left of the first character in a line I get behavior like holding the shift key down, which I find very irritating. If I wanted to hold the shift key down I would. Also I sometimes have to click two or three times while holding the cursor very still to select lines. So I can't use the standard line selection method of clicking and dragging down before the first char.

I noticed the option to double-click and select a line but I need that for words.

Triple-clicking on a line doesn't work.

I went through every setting very carefully but I couldn't find anything that related to this. The "extend selection" option doesn't affect it.

How does everyone else do it? It is driving me crazy. Surely one of the many standard methods could be implemented. My favorite method is clicking in the margin like VS supports.
View user's profileFind all posts by mchahnSend private messageVisit poster's website
Veteran

A related thread over in the feature request forum:

line-selection-t2975.html
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

Thanks.

I learned you can drag on line numbers to select multiple lines. How weird that you can select multiple lines but not single ones.

Has anyone else noticed how much PhpEd seems to go out of its way to avoid UI conventions? It really drives me crazy. I tried to switch to Komodo because of the PhpEd editor UI quirks. Unfortunately PHP debugging doesn't work in komodo which kind of defeats the whole point. I won't even start on Zend.

I would kill for the functionality of PhpEd with the editor UI of visual studio, which clearly sets the UI standard.
View user's profileFind all posts by mchahnSend private messageVisit poster's website

I found out how to select a single line. You click on the line number and just drag down one line. I started using the drag-on-numbers method to select multiple lines and I accidentally dragged it only one line. So my original question of how to select a line has been answered.

I would never have discovered this on my own in a million years. How has everyone else been selecting lines? Am I the only idiot?
Site Admin

Mark Line command is available in the list of shortcuts for the editor. You may assign you own or use the defaults (Ctrl-O, L)

Thanks.

I guess I went through all the Mark commands too quickly. I got the impression they were all anchored at the cursor.

So maybe the answer to my second question is "Yes, I am the only idiot".
Site Admin

ahh

I'm a keyboard person and usually select a line with a Shift-End combo, or a Shift-Down.

I am concerned about selecting entire lines, not parts of them. What you suggest only does this if you click before the first char in the line an I can't do that because of the stupid auto-shift feature. I find myself trying to do that from habit and then bitching when tons of stuff is selected.

Shouldn't something as weird as the auto-shift be an option? Who came up with this weird non-standard stuff?

What about a Home, Shift-End combo?

Has always worked well for me.

I overlooked the "I'm a keyboard person" comment. I'm a mouse person so that may be the difference. I wonder how many users are keyboard people.
Veteran

I still think support for selecting lines with triple-clicking would be great. What makes it so nice is that it gives you a huge target for the mouse - point anywhere on the line and you're good. You can do this a lot quicker than you can click on the spot right before where the line starts or even the line numbers. Select multiple lines by triple-clicking and dragging. It also allows you to click on the part of the line that actually contains your text, which makes it much easier to select the proper lines when you end up with a small bit of text that's indented a fair bit.

On the keyboard side, I'll have to check out the Mark Line command, as I somehow missed it. I find the combos that involve home or end to be too cumbersome.
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website
how to select a line?