NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
how to preserve all my settings [VISTA]

The last few phped upgrades have retained all my settings, i.e., ftp servers, code templates, database settings and ssh connections. With the update to phped 5028 all that is gone. Did it delete all my settings? How can I recover them? Why not keep it so that phped automatically uses all the existing settings?

Jeff
Maybe they are still there...

first i thought the same. What a horror - at least 50% of the ftp passwords where entered quick and dirty without writing down somewhere else... (I know i shouldn't do that...)

Try searching for one of the files (e.g. accounts.cfg) in your users-directory. I found the old settings here (Vista):

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\nusphere\phped\accounts.cfg

The new settings are here:

C:\Users\MyName\AppData\Roaming\NuSphere\PhpED\config\accounts.cfg

now backup the new directory and copy the old settings. Attention: New directory-structure. The files of the old main dir are now stored in "config".

That brought my settings back... I hope it might help you.

Thomas
View user's profileFind all posts by tkahlSend private messageVisit poster's website

XP machine @ work kept all my settings, Vista machine @ home lost my layout and ftp settings.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlackGasSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

For non-vista aware applications like PhpED pre-5.0.1, Vista uses virtualization and it causes some problems when you upgrade this pre-5.0.1 to version 5.0.1.
Indeed, Vista did not let PhpED v5.0 to store configuration files in Program Files\nusphere\phped directory. Instead it placed phisical files in C:\Users\YOURACCOUNT\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\nusphere\phped\ and mimiced them in C:\Program Files\nusphere\phped\
When new 5.0.1 is installed and launched, it tells Vista that it is a Vista-aware application and therefore Vista turns virtualization off. Hence PhpED 5.0.1 won't see the files at all or will see their original copies the installer created for 5.0.

There is no trivial solution for people who are upgrading their 5.0 or 4.6 to 5.0.1 under Vista, but manually copying the configuration files.

Copying the files manually doesn't always work. I recently reinstalled my XP and the program didn't "see" my shortcut settings and always kept resetting the file to default config. All other settings like layout and autocomplete were copied without problems.

The shortcuts sometimes like to disappear with no reason at all - I start the program the next day and they're gone. Within last few days it happened two times. Any chance we'll finally get an easy export/import option?
Site Admin

The only reason for that is that VISTA runs virtualization for 5.0. Because of this fact, the files are physically located in totally different directory than the IDE v5 is aware of.
Since version 5.0.1 virtualization is not required because the IDE tells that it's Vista-aware and Vista grants it rights to see files in their real location.

... come from the "new" behaviour not to allow programs to write into the Program-Files Directories.

dmitri wrote:
Indeed, Vista did not let PhpED v5.0 to store configuration files in Program Files\nusphere\phped directory. Instead it placed phisical files in C:\Users\YOURACCOUNT\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\nusphere\phped\ and mimiced them in C:\Program Files\nusphere\phped\

What a surprise! Since Windows 95 this is mentioned in the Windows programming guidelines.

Thomas
View user's profileFind all posts by tkahlSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Virtualization came with Vista and it's the only thing caused the problem discussed there.