NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
How to lessen line spacing in the editor?

Hello everyone,

I am going to move to PhpED from Komodo Edit v5.2 under Windows. My favorite font is Lucida Console. I use font size 9. When I selected it in PhpEd, I noticed that it has a larger line spacing compared to the Komodo Edit having the same font size. This decreases the number of lines visible on my screen at any moment. In Komodo I see 59 while in PhpED just 46. I tried looking for "Line Spacing" in PhpED settings but with no success.

Please tell if there is a setting to reduce Editor's line spacing in PhpED? Or may be there is some other way to reduce the line spacing?
It's very imporant issue for me as larger spacing effectively result in a smaller monitor feel.

Thank you in advance.
Site Admin

PhpED does not add nor remove any inter-line spacing. If, for instance, the font you're using has 14px, PhpED will render each line of 14px hight. It's not doctoring fonts. If 14px is too much for you, use different font size or just different font.

Hi Dmitri,

Thank you for your reply.
Many other editors have this setting, even free ones. It's a pity PhpED does not have such a facility.
In fact, sometimes it's not easy to choose a different font to work with, as other fonts fall short in many ways compared to your favorite one.
Lucida Console is good for me because it has bigger letters compared to other fonts of the same size - that's saves my eyes, and, simultaneously, it has minimum line spacing among many other fonts. The last is not true with PhpED though. Just compare these 2 screenshots to see the difference between Komodo Edit and PhpED using the same font Lucida console 9px.
Komodo Edit 5.2:
[img]https://edwardsoft.com/test/pictures/phped/komodo_spacing.png[/img]
Now PhpED:
[img]https://edwardsoft.com/test/pictures/phped/phped_spacing.png[/img]
Site Admin

in my opinion, which is biased of course, PhpED looks better -- there is some space between the text lines. Red curvy lines for syntax errors would be found easier. Komodo not only ate that space, it also made some letters overlapping, or at least touching each other, see p in util.php touching h in sms.php on your screenshot.

BTW you can play with anti-alias settings in Tools->Settings->Editor Theme, editor tab, "Quality" dropdown. Some fonts look better with ClearType, some are much better without it and it depends on your taste and your display properties too.

dmitri wrote:
Tools->Settings->Editor Theme, editor tab, "Quality" dropdown

This is a great tip - I had some issue with blurry font on my monitor too, thanx.
Site Admin

btw can't solve blurry Windows UI on my 2.5K 27" Dell displays when I connect 13" Dell laptop to them. When I connect macbook, the image is shape and nice. Go figure, looks like Dell has hardware problems.

Quote:
see p in util.php touching h in sms.php on your screenshot

Sorry, it's not important for me.
What really matters, how many lines I see onscreen.
As I said earlier, there are 59 lines with Komodo, and only 46 with PhpED.
PhpED ate up 13 lines!
Site Admin

It ate them for purpose of maintaining space between lines to be at least 1 pixel, so underlining curly lines -- red ones that indicate syntax errors -- would not obscure text too much and after all text would look cleaner. From that perspectives Lucida Console is not an ideal font. More over it's not a monospaced font and just because of that I'd not recommend to use it for coding, but it's certainly matter of taste. If keeping lines condensed is really important to you, all I can say - I'm sorry that our editor failed to meet your expectations, but we have reasons why it should work this way.

Sir,

Everything you are talking about is solved by adding a simple setting, and I even agree with you to have an increased line spacing by default. But for people like me, please give us the opportunity to see more text onscreen. Monitor space is a resource and should be used sparingly.

Your argument that you don't have such a setting because you care about a pretty font seems weak to me.
I would beleive, if you say "We have no time to implemened this" or "We have other more important things to implement" etc.

Regards
How to lessen line spacing in the editor?