NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
how to find in files

So, when I do a "find in files", I get a message for every binary file (all images). This makes it very difficult to go through the results, especially if there are many images in the subdirectories. Is there a way to suppress this? I think I tried all of the filter combos, but none would make it go away. I am not sure why any one would want to know that the IDE couldn't look for text in an image, but it must be a feature ? I know that I can apply a mask, but we have many file types (all text) in our directories.

Is this the only way?

thanks

-rod
Site Admin

You need to specify appropriate file extensions in File Masks input, for example *.php,*.html,*.js

Yes, I mentioned that that - "I know that I can apply a mask, but we have many file types (all text) in our directories.", but I was hoping for a better solution. What if I forget one file type that I really should be searching? This seems like a poor implementation. I can appreciate the flexibility of being able to specify any file types that you want, but it seems like we should also have the most general cases by default (e.g. all text files, or all non-binary files). I mean, if I am looking for a particular string, I would never want to search in a binary file, and I don't want to know that the editor had to skip those files. I just want to know when it found something.

I think an easy solution would be to implement a filter to suppress all "skipping this file ..." messages. I will add this as a feature request.

Thank you.

Rod
Site Admin

It's not a big problem, though.
If you get Log window cluttered with "undesired" lines, you can hide them by applying filter. See popup options.
Also, you may want to clone Log window and apply different filter on the clone.

So I tried to apply a filter, but none of the ones that are there will hide binary files. Am I missing something?

I finally just gave up and made a list of all the non-binary files I could think of and added them to the "file masks" area of the search window. But I think this is a poor solution as I may miss a file because I forgot to add it to the list. It seems like it would be a better idea to just create an additional filter in the pop-up menu that is "binary files".

Also, I just upgraded from 1 year professional to 3 years support. I really think this is the best php editor by far.

Thank you.

Quote:
So I tried to apply a filter, but none of the ones that are there will hide binary files. Am I missing something?

I believe the filter you are looking for is called Transliteration.

Actually, that one does not work. It does not filter out the messages that say "File is a picture/binary, skipped". I tried all the filters. That is what I have been saying. I think it would be very easy to make a new filter to just get rid of this message.

thank you for trying!

Rod

Embarassed Your right, my apologies.

I don't think we should have to even filter out the warnings. A "find" operation should only return things that match the search expression. If there is binary data file or transliteration warning, I really don't want to see it, unless the file actually contains what I'm looking for. These things should just not show at all or they should go to a different output window, maybe a window for errors and warnings only.

Thank you snorkelbuckle! Why on earth would we want to see what the search couldn't find? or where it couldn't look?

All I would ever want to know is what was found. Thats it.

Please?

-r

rodericksimpson wrote:
Thank you snorkelbuckle! Why on earth would we want to see what the search couldn't find? or where it couldn't look?

All I would ever want to know is what was found. Thats it.

Please?

-r

I agree as well. I don't understand why we need to know that the binary files dont contain our search results? This is like making a list of every house address in the usa for the purpose of telling me that the text i am looking for in my php project is not contained in any of those houses.

And it is unintuitive to have to go in and specify a filter of what files to search just to avoid the large amount of utter irrlevant binary results returned.

If for some, unknown to us, reason to search binary files exists, then perhaps providing us a way to make our own custom filters and save them to a list so that we can have different sets, i.e., one for html and php files, another for php only files, and still another for binary files.

Jeff
how to find in files