NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
How to debug modules

I have tried to read all faq i could find - but still struggling with this one for days now.

I'm using a separate Apache web server and remote debug using ssh tunneling.

Debugging separate php programs works as supposed, but when trying to debug modules in Joomla - I'm lost Wink

I have a project sett up for my Joomla code, and "Project Settings wizard" is telling me that all is working nicely.

If I enable "stop at first line" - it loads the index.php module - I get the blue dots - and I'm able to step etc from there.
(I have the starting file sett up as index.php, as pressing "Run in debugger" do start the index.php.

But - trying to set a break point - or run to cursor in a module is not working - nothing happens.

I know the module is running (trying the plugins/authentication/joomla.php ) as I'm working on a similar auth module.
And yes - I know I have the break point on a executable line.

So - the BIG question - How to Smile
How to debug a module - and not to have to step through all the code from the start to get into the module.

No blue dots in the editor when looking at a module - this is probably right - as the blue dots only shows up in the module/code that is running at the moment - right ?

Running last version of everything and no error messages found anywhere!

Hope anyone could give me hint to solve my mystery !

regards
Steinar
Site Admin

I'd recommend to use Debugger Toolbar available for IE and 3rd party available for FF.
With them, you can navigate to target page, then click Debug.

Hi,

I'm having the same prob, but I do not understand how the suggested solution would help. I want to debug a plugin. That means this PHP Code will definitely included and executed during the "main-session" which is always launched via index.php. So I have started debugging index.php and pressed "Continue", waiting for dbg to stop at some breakpoint which I had set beforehand. However, my code was executed (as I saw from the result it had on the display in the IE-window), yet the breakpoint never "broke", so to say Wink
I really do not like the thought of stepping through the entire stuff until eventually sometime my code will be called - I thought that was the idea of having breakpoints?

Thanks

Michael

...using 8115 while debugging on remote apache...

Ok, I found the problem - it was entirely my fault. Sad(
All is working now, thanks very much Smile
How to debug modules