NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
How do I see multiple file windows simultaneously?

OK - I give up - just got the 4.0 upgrade and I can't for the life of me figure out how to get rid of the tabbed view of windows so that I can see multiple source code files (and the HTML output window) simultaneously. It's rediculous to have to keep switching from one tab to another to see what's going on during a session.

What's the secret?

Thanks,
David Jameson

P.S. THANK GOODNESS you got rid of that stupid activation system you were using on 3.3
Site Admin

Quote:
so that I can see multiple source code files (and the HTML output window) simultaneously

with v4 you may want to check "run in external browser". That's the only way to see HTML and php simultaneously.
HTML output itself can be seen in the Output window during debug session.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

That doesn't help - I also need to be able to see multiple PHP windows as well.

David Jameson

ddmitrie wrote:
Quote:
so that I can see multiple source code files (and the HTML output window) simultaneously

with v4 you may want to check "run in external browser". That's the only way to see HTML and php simultaneously.
HTML output itself can be seen in the Output window during debug session.

I concur... it's sometimes vital to be able to compare source code windows side-by-side. This was available in v3. What happened?

Regards,

Bill

I do miss the multiple window interface a little too. Sometimes you really want to compare 2 PHP files side by side.

(On the other hand I wouln't go back to version 3 just for that... too much good stuff in v 4 Smile)

Indeed, I would like to see this again as well.
View user's profileFind all posts by Rick ChristySend private messageYahoo Messenger

There's been no activity on this thread for a while.

This is a real issue. Would someone from NuSphere care to respond with a date when this feature might reappear? Come on... throw us a bone.

Thanks.
Site Admin

Hi Bill,
common, your activity on this forum is not that high too Smile

Regarding the problem I still think it's not too hard to implement it. Yet, there are always a lot of other more or less important things to do.
Say, next version in February 2006 will come our with this option. Does this sound good?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Hi Dmitri...

I didn't mean to sound ungrateful... Cool

I was just surprised that something so useful had gone away in the first place.

February will be fine -- it's coming up soon, isn't it?
Site Admin

Sure, you did sound grateful Smile and your posts here are always welcome.
Not exactly what I had in mind...

Hi everybody...

While I'm glad to see some way to see multiple source code windows, I'm afraid the new implementation leaves something to be desired. In the earlier available version, source code windows lived inside the IDE's main area. Now, they float free. There are several disadvantages that I see with this approach:
    Floating windows cover up anything beneath them, including workspace and code explorer sections. This means users have to move windows out of the way much more often to get to information underneath.

Functions available in the main window don't apply to floating windows. For example, I wanted to change an HTML color using the IDE's color picker. When the target source code window is floating, this doesn't work. Instead, the color value string is inserted in the "active" non-floating window.

Keyboard shortcuts don't work the same. In the main IDE window, saving a file is accomplished by alt-F (to open the File menu), followed by ctl-S (to do the save). In a floating window, there's no File menu, so ctl-S is all you need. This inconsistency slows things down.

Similarly, it appears that debugging can only be started from a non-floating window.

Is there any way to go back to the original floating window scheme? In my humble opinion it was far superior to the new one.

Bill
How do I see multiple file windows simultaneously?