NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
How do I run to the next breakpoint?

From what I can tell, there's no way to run my scripts to the next breakpoint. What's the best way to do that? Like, my program stops at the DebugBreak(); command, but then if I set another breakpoint within the debugger, how do I run to that point without stepping through it line by line?
Site Admin

Support for breakpoints is an IDE-dependant thing.
What IDE do you use ? What is the system configuration ? Do you run Apache or IIS ? Locally or remotely ?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

I'm using a remote linux/apache server with the remote debugger and PHPed running on local WinXP machine.
Site Admin

take a look at
http://forum.nusphere.com/howto-setup-project-properties-in-phped-t645.html
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Nope, that has nothing to do with my question. My question, once again is, how do I run a script to the next breakpoint? There is no "run to next breakpoint" command in the PHPed debugger which seems pretty stupid.

I run a script, the debugger starts and breaks on the first line by default. Now I want to add a breakpoint somewhere in the file and then run to that point. I can set the breakpoints with no problem, but I can't get the debugger to break at that breakpoint. It just runs right over the breakpoint and never stops. So I end up either adding a DebugBreak(); command where I want it to stop, or I end up using the "Step Over" command to go line by line which is a total waste of time. I spend 5 minutes trying to step to the location I need to debug, but by the time I get there my browser request has timed out and I have to start all over again. There MUST be a better way to do this.
Site Admin

Quote:
Nope, that has nothing to do with my question

really ? Have you tried ?

Quote:
but I can't get the debugger to break at that breakpoint

Seems you didnot setup the project Smile and therefore breakpoints WILL NOT work.

After you set up project you may just press RUN IN DEBUGGER and it will run until you press PAUSE or next breakpoint reached or script finished.

What a hell guys? It really does not work! I have written DebugBreak() in my script (PHPED), reload page in my browser, script stops, and what??? How to step to next breakpoint at this case??? F9 runs script without stop.
Site Admin

Not a hell at all. If you work with remote web server you have to have the followings
-local copy of php scripts you work with.
-project settings pointing to remote locations.

In this case breakpoints work just fine.

I am also having a problem with breakpoints. No matter what I have tried I can not get PHPeD to stop at a breakpoint. I am using 3.3.1 and using 2.16.7 of the debugger.
I have tried setting up a project two ways.

1. Created a local project and used the SRV local web server.
2. Created a local project with mappings setup correctly to a remote server on Linux running Apache.

In both cases debugging works correctly, but the IDE just will not stop and any breakpoints. Seems like there should also be an option in the IDE to run to next breakpoint. Any help with breakpoints would be great.

Thanks

ddmitrie wrote:
Not a hell at all. If you work with remote web server you have to have the followings
-local copy of php scripts you work with.
-project settings pointing to remote locations.

In this case breakpoints work just fine.

I have read the project set up FAQ entry but I still don't understand why I need a local copy of the files.

I have a mapped a drive to the dev machine and and have set this as the remote root, I'm editing them directly (as this machine is in our backup rotation etc)

Why on earth do I need to copy these files over onto my local disk surely the mapped drive is sufficient?

Reading the FAQ entry you say that I need a local copy of the files but map to a remote location, so which files do I edit, the local ones or the remote copies? If I edit one, the other obviously becomes out of sync. Maybe I've got this wrong but from what I've read, I need to have a local copy of my files, why?

I want to be able to:

1) Map drive to remote dev server with PHP/Apache/DBG
2) specify the mapped drive as the project root
3) specify the remote path as the path to the files I have mapped, this way I only have one copy of the code
4) debug normally. When I do this it seems to just run the script ignoring breakpoints etc

Darren Beale
Site Admin

Quote:
I still don't understand why I need a local copy of the files

Quote:
I have a mapped a drive to the dev machine and and have set this as the remote root, I'm editing them directly (as this machine is in our backup rotation etc)

From the IDE point of view it's really the same as if you had all the local copies. So this works fine too. Maybe it's the best way if performance your netowork is sufficiently good and Samba-related issues are not the matter.
In case of mapped disks you don't need to keep remote server sychronized with your local copies as in case when you work with real copies.
Quote:
I want to be able to:

1) Map drive to remote dev server with PHP/Apache/DBG
2) specify the mapped drive as the project root
3) specify the remote path as the path to the files I have mapped, this way I only have one copy of the code
4) debug normally. When I do this it seems to just run the script ignoring breakpoints etc

And you're able to Smile
Let know if you encountered any problems.

Hi

well it's very tempramental

For instance this morning, it worked for the first few debugging sessions but then would start playing up. If I started a debugging session it would stop at the first line as expected and if I clicked any of the debugging steps (e.g. step into etc) it would just hang and I couldn't stop it with the stop icon, I have to kill the PHPEd and listener processes. When I kill the processes Apache cranks right up again and seems to contiue running the script on the remote dev server.

Admittedly the application that I'm debugging is hammering the server, when left to run to its own devices (i.e. not debugging) apache is taking all of the available CPU. But this doesn't explain why it works for a bit then doesnt at all. The code has hardly changed so it's not that.

I'm using the newest version of PHPEd eval on XP Pro (SP1) with the dev server a few feet away over a 100Mb internal network (with only a few low useage clients) running php 5.0.0rc2
How do I run to the next breakpoint?