NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Guru master

Quote:
you MUST have an even number of quotes in your PHP files

And that is where you are wrong Smile

$sString = "I'm using simple English here... see?";
$sString = 'Someone said to me: "' . $sStatement . '"';

Quotes aren't as easy as you claim them to be.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Technically what you're claiming is a quote is an apostrophe Wink Totally different character.

Okay, but that only helps solidify my point. If quotes are so difficult, and they're implemented correctly, wouldn't it be easier to fulfill this for brackets?

And your second example:

4 single-quotes, 2 double quotes. That only supports my claim.
View user's profileFind all posts by bpat1434Send private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Guru master

An apostrophe is the exact same character as a single quote for the software. You seem to be forgetting that it is easy for a human to see the difference between a part of a string and an actual enclosure, it's not that easy for a piece of software.

And what's with that second claim? It's not about it being an even number. Those are 2 completely different strings, the parser threats them as such, even number or not. If you're working inside a string quoted with ", the editor should not add a second ' in my eyes, because you're not starting a second string. Identical for a string quoted with ' where you are adding a ".
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Whatever it doesn't matter. Quotes aren't the issue. The issue is brackets. And if quotes work properly (which they do) and according to you they're more difficult to work out, why aren't brackets working? That's the issue.

Brackets are so much easier according to you. If they're that easy, then just complete them!! It's been probably 10 releases and they have yet to work in any sense of efficiency. I'd rather not have to use my mouse or the arrow keys just to move my cursor past the auto-closed brackets when the program should do this for me if I type it. For a good example, look at the Zend Neon beta, or Zend Studio 5.5. They work as expected.

Or if nothing else, just add a hotkey to skip the auto-closed section. That's a compromise I'm willing to settle with. It just seems that the admin and developer(s) don't seem to care how the users perceive this program and only want to do what seems important to them which is adding features and ignoring things when they're not all that they could be. But whatever. I'm done with NuSphere if this doens't get fixed. Not because it's a trivial issue, but because they don't listen to their customers.
View user's profileFind all posts by bpat1434Send private messageAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
Guru master

No insult intended, but don't go throwing around that NuSphere doesn't listen to its customers. To be honest I've never encountered a company that listens better (except for VanDyke perhaps Razz). You can't expect that they are able to deal with every request.

Besides what Dmitri stated earlier is correct. It's not because you like behavior X that everyone will like it. Just start a poll about it and if enough votes come in, they might consider it. The Feature Request forum exists for a reason.

I've seen plenty of other companies that listen better; or, at least have a better attitude toward their customers. Take for example the deletion of topics, or the "superior" type of responses like "it works the way it's supposed to" when it really doesn't. But since it's a poll he asks for, I'll start one, even though there are quite a few topics on this subject already.
How do I make auto-close brackets to work?