NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
HELP Please - cannot get debugger to install/load

Help please. Smile

Windows 7 (64 bit), Apache 2.2, PHP 5.3, PHPed 5.9.

I have followed the instructions at:
http://forum.nusphere.com/howto-install-debugger-module-t576.html
CAREFULLY - I have reviewed them dozens of times and repeated the steps over and over.

In particular, the dbg-wizard.php outputs:
1. DBG (PHP DEBUGGER) is not installed

And of course it says:

To install it, please do the following:
* Copy dbg-php-5.3.dll into C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\ext on your server test3002.xxxxxxxx.com. DONE
* Add the following lines into C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\php.ini DONE

Code:
zend_extension_ts="C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\ext\dbg-php-5.3.dll"
      Note: if debugger module is loaded using this way, please make sure extension=dbg-php-5.3.dll line is removed or commented out.
      [debugger]
      debugger.hosts_allow= 127.0.0.1 localhost
      debugger.hosts_deny=ALL
      debugger.ports=7869

Note that the latest dbg-wizard incorrectly tells me to use zend_extension_ts when I have PHP 5.3, where the *_ts version no longer is supported. As per this page: http://www.nusphere.com/kb/technicalfaq/howto_install_dbg_module.htm I am using zend_extension=...

Here is the weird thing.... My phpinfo tell me that my loaded php.ini file is in location: C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\php.ini
AND
There are no additional ini files parsed.
BUT
when i change my php.ini file to try and load some non-existent module (just to see if its even trying to load) - nothing. No errors. No difference. The log files are empty.

Here is the relevant section of my php.ini:

Code:
zend_extension="C:\Program Files (x86)\PHP\ext\dbg-php-5.3.dll"

[debugger]
debugger.enabled=on
debugger.profiler_enabled=on
debugger.hosts_allow=192.168.0.1 192.168.1.1 127.0.0.1 localhost
debugger.hosts_deny=ALL
debugger.ports=7869, 10000/16

YES - I have Restarted Apache every time I change anything.
NO - my phpinfo NEVER shows: "Zend Engine vX.X.0, Copyright (c) 1998-200x Zend Technologies with DBG ..."

Short of uninstalling everything and starting again from scratch (which I doubt will help) I dont know what to do next.

HELP PLEASE!
I have no hair left.

M4ngo,

Sorry to hear of your problems and I can empathize with your hair loss situation as I have long since sported the chrome-dome for similar reasons... that said, I have no sure-fire solution for you but perhaps some insights that might help.

The thing that strikes me as a bit odd -- if not ultimately counter-productive to your hair-loss situation -- is that your PHP is running in your Program Files subdirectory on your C:/ drive. The info you've supplied does not say where your Apache is or other such important bits of configuration information. So let's just consider the potential issues of PHP in your Program File directory.

First, know that under Windows you are likely to have a few versions of PHP stuck hither and yon due to IDE installs and/or pre-packed installs (and incomplete removals) of such packaged thins as Xammp and WampServer, etc. So, one thing that can bite you is you may be looking 'here' when you should be looking 'there' and vice versa. If fact, I have even seen situations where programmatic 'wizards' are thrown a curve at the 'here-no-there' situation on Windows boxes.

So... long story short, I'd say bite the bullet now and simply uninstall whatever combo of things you have and start fresh with a WAMP (Windows LAMP) platform installed SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN with any of its piece-parts in 'C:/Program Files (x86)/'. Windows is primarily a consumer/end-user OS. So Microsoft is doing everything it can to buttress security in what is a very 'wild and wooly world' of non-tech users with little on-site support. So the OS-special directories -- like 'Program Files (x86), etc. -- are increasingly constrained with non-trivial security permissions and 'oversight' services. So trying to run a development environment that depends on components installed in these 'lock-down' places is asking for headaches and/or hair loss.

So, for example -- and as per more information in my advice to Ed in this thread -- I'd get the excellent WampServer package and install it in a non-OS partition or at least completely out from under any Win7 OS-special directories. Once the base package is installed, update it with the latest Apache, MySQL, and PHP components available -- either from WampServer.com or use Steven Martin's excellent and more current add-ons at PampServer.com.

In particular, if you can step-down into the more mature level of PHP 5.2.11. But if you have or really want to be on 5.3.x, go with Martin's 5.3.3 as the 5.3.0 version (which you apparently currently run and which is still the default in the somewhat dated WampServer official release), that version will surely give you problems.

Once you have a solid, up-to-date WAMP platform up and running and out from under any OS-special directory constraints, I believe you will have smooth sailing when you try to configure and use DBG 'remote'/development debugging.

Hope this helps,
--Sohodojo Jim--
AKA DropaBalm.com Jambo

M4ngo

How did you solve this problem?

Thanks
Phil

Sohodojo_Jim wrote:
M4ngo,

Sorry to hear of your problems and I can empathize with your hair loss situation as I have long since sported the chrome-dome for similar reasons... that said, I have no sure-fire solution for you but perhaps some insights that might help.

The thing that strikes me as a bit odd -- if not ultimately counter-productive to your hair-loss situation -- is that your PHP is running in your Program Files subdirectory on your C:/ drive. The info you've supplied does not say where your Apache is or other such important bits of configuration information. So let's just consider the potential issues of PHP in your Program File directory.

First, know that under Windows you are likely to have a few versions of PHP stuck hither and yon due to IDE installs and/or pre-packed installs (and incomplete removals) of such packaged thins as Xammp and WampServer, etc. So, one thing that can bite you is you may be looking 'here' when you should be looking 'there' and vice versa. If fact, I have even seen situations where programmatic 'wizards' are thrown a curve at the 'here-no-there' situation on Windows boxes.

So... long story short, I'd say bite the bullet now and simply uninstall whatever combo of things you have and start fresh with a WAMP (Windows LAMP) platform installed SOMEWHERE OTHER THAN with any of its piece-parts in 'C:/Program Files (x86)/'. Windows is primarily a consumer/end-user OS. So Microsoft is doing everything it can to buttress security in what is a very 'wild and wooly world' of non-tech users with little on-site support. So the OS-special directories -- like 'Program Files (x86), etc. -- are increasingly constrained with non-trivial security permissions and 'oversight' services. So trying to run a development environment that depends on components installed in these 'lock-down' places is asking for headaches and/or hair loss.

So, for example -- and as per more information in my advice to Ed in this thread -- I'd get the excellent WampServer package and install it in a non-OS partition or at least completely out from under any Win7 OS-special directories. Once the base package is installed, update it with the latest Apache, MySQL, and PHP components available -- either from WampServer.com or use Steven Martin's excellent and more current add-ons at PampServer.com.

In particular, if you can step-down into the more mature level of PHP 5.2.11. But if you have or really want to be on 5.3.x, go with Martin's 5.3.3 as the 5.3.0 version (which you apparently currently run and which is still the default in the somewhat dated WampServer official release), that version will surely give you problems.

Once you have a solid, up-to-date WAMP platform up and running and out from under any OS-special directory constraints, I believe you will have smooth sailing when you try to configure and use DBG 'remote'/development debugging.

Hope this helps,
--Sohodojo Jim--
AKA DropaBalm.com Jambo

well let me start with this
HELP Please - cannot get debugger to install/load