NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
General debugging

I am a little confused as to what functionality is supported by dbg and what is supported by an IDE. I have debugging sessions working, I added function calls to DebugBreak() and I connected remotely. I am using PHPEdit but I don't understand how to do anything besides step through code.

How do I look at variables? How do I change the execution flow? Is there docs on DebugBreak and any other functions calls? When I open the "Locals" debug window, it's always empty.

Does it make a difference if I run locally on the server?

Thanks for your help.
Site Admin

Quote:
what functionality is supported by dbg and what is supported by an IDE

Debugger is just like a library that provides all its service to the IDE.
It performs all manipulations with execution flow, evaluates expressions, sets breakpoints, react on them and so forth.
IDE is reponsible for interpreting the results, showing source files, moving execution point, drawing the variables in the trees and so forth.

Quote:
How do I look at variables?

Debugger has no visial interfaces other than the dbglistener window...
You'd refer to the IDE manual to see where to look at variables.
In PHPED you can use Watch, Immediate, Locals and Globals.
I think something similar exist in PhpEdit.

Quote:
How do I change the execution flow?

In PhpED you can set breakpoints and execute (F9) or step (F7 or FCool.

Quote:
Is there docs on DebugBreak

It's a kind of embedded breakpoint Smile and activates debug session if it wasn't in effect. Nothing really special.

Quote:

Sometimes remote debugging is more difficult because it requires to set up proper mapping. In local case, mapping has no sense, at least not much.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

The speed that you reply on this forum is ridiculous. : ) Thanks for your debugger and your help!

I guess since my debug session starts and I can see the files, I'll assume everything is working and I just need to figure out how in PHPEdit.

ddmitrie wrote:
Quote:
Is there docs on DebugBreak

It's a kind of embedded breakpoint :) and activates debug session if it wasn't in effect. Nothing really special.

Quote:

Sometimes remote debugging is more difficult because it requires to set up proper mapping. In local case, mapping has no sense, at least not much.

So there aren't any other useful function calls like DebugBreak?

Is there any other mapping besides IP/port when running remotely? Does running locally just mean lauching a browser on the server machine with DBG Listener running? I have access to the server but if working remotely is working, I'd rather continue doing that.
Site Admin

Quote:
Is there any other mapping besides IP/port when running remotely?

I meant mapping to be performed by the IDE. For example, if your server runs /var/www/index.php the IDE shoud know what file to show, for example c:\myproj\index.php.
I am not sure if any IDE other than NuSphere PhpED supports file mapping.

Quote:
Does running locally just mean lauching a browser on the server machine with DBG Listener running?

"locally" means that the server and client both are running on the same machine. In any case, you run browser on the client computer.

Quote:
I have access to the server but if working remotely is working, I'd rather continue doing that.

If you refer to PHPEDIT you'd ask the author(s). I can help you with NUSPHERE PHPED only. Latter works fine with remote servers.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
General debugging