NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
FTP SmartSync Does Not Account for Timezone Differences

I am not sure if this is an oversight or if it is just difficult to implement but I just began using the FTP capabilities of phpED and I noticed an issue with the SmartSync.

It looks like the server I am trying to upload to is in a different timezone (two hours ahead of my own) so when I try and do a Smart Upload the transfer does not take place because it thinks that my files are older than the files on the server (e.g. here the time is 4:37 pm and the file on the server has a time of 6:35 because it is a few minutes old).

If the program could account for differences between the users timezone and the server's timezone that'd be awesome Smile.

Thank you!

that's what the time offset value is in the account settings!
Wrong file date compared.

The smartsync is not working as it should. Or it could be me Smile

Smartsyncs refuses to download because the date of the file on the server is older than the one on my filesystem:

But the file /news/news.html is much newer! :

It appears that smartsync uses the the date of another file...

or again:

it could be just me ....[/img]
Site Admin

FTP standards do not define a way to set date/time stamps for remote files. As I know two different proposals for this functionality were published, but they have not been adopted into any final documents. Currently FTP servers set modification time for the uploaded files.

Regarding "Time offset", this setting adjusts the date/time stamps reported by the server. If server reports them in its local time, you have to set the difference between the Time Zones for your server and local machine. If server reports them in UTC, you need to set your machine Time Zone offset.

I'd recommend to use SFTP. It comes with all features needed to have smartsync working good.