NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
FTP Resume

Why does FTP Transfers not support resume?
I was downloading a large file when my client hung. I reopen the client and start the transfer, it only allows me to overwrite??
Resuming is normally a standard feature on FTP, why not here?
Guru master

Maybe the PhpED FTP client does not support resume. If a transfer fails then it shows as Failed in the Transfer panel and there is not even an option to restart it.

Possibly NuSphere only expected smaller files to be transferred and not large files, so the need for resume was not required.

I find the PhpED FTP client convenient for updating & comparing files, but if I want to do anything much more with FTP such as transferring lots of files when publishing a new site, or large files, then I use a full separate FTP client (eg FileZilla or SmartFTP).

Using an FTP client that supports multiple workers does give an overall faster transfer than using the single worker PhpED.

I agree that it was probably never the intention. So perhaps this should be more of a feature request.
I posted here in case I was missing something that could be pointed out.

In my case, I use the synchronization system to keep my local and production website in sync. Unfortunately I have some very large files in my website (>1 GB) and it's very annoying if my line drops for a second that I have to restart the download each time. Any descent FTP client or library supports resume so I am convinced that it would be trivial for the NuSphere team to implement it.
Site Admin

Quote:
than using the single worker PhpED.

why single? why not multiple? PhpED supports multiple workers since ~ v8 or 9.
Check what limit you have in tools->settings->Misc->Number of threads

Sorry, Dmitri. I remembered having a forum discussion with you a long time ago where you thought multiple workers would not improve performance, so I never realised that was now a feature. The default looks like 15. My FTP servers will reject more than 4 simultaneous so I'll reduce that 15 and see how it goes Smile

Is resume supported? I can see it has retries, but not sure if those start from beginning.
Site Admin

"resume" is not trivial. We'd have to implement support for temporary file name for the transfers then allow resume if such temporary file is found and it's not too old. Otherwise imagine -- you have 15K file on the server and 4K local file. Would you like to override this old local file with server's copy completely or you want 11K "extra" joined to what you have? Wink

Thanks dmitri,

A temporary file could just be an extension of your choice, "bigfile.zip.nusphere" would be indicative enough to anyone that NuSphere is still busy with that file.

As a new feature, on startup of PhpEd, you could list all ".nusphere" files in the project workspace, and alert the developer "You have files that have not completed downloading, would you like to resume?"

I have had it in the past where I think a synchronization of a website was complete, however in testing, when I try and use the large ".sql" or ".mp4" file I find it is corrupted due to incomplete transfer. The frustration is compounded by having to download the entire file again.

I apologize if I come across patronizing, I know as developers you guys are extremely intelligent and can see the obvious benefits of ftp resume functionality.
FTP Resume