NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
FTP Problem In 6.0 - cannot be opened with this PROT setting

Hi,

Just upgraded from 5.9 to 6.0 (6028) and have found that I'm having problems connecting via FTP.

I set-up all my FTP connections via port 21 using passive mode, SSL, TLS mode, and encrypt data channel. This worked fine previously in 5.9, absolutely nothing else has changed. However whilst I can open the connection and browse the folder trees. I now get the following error when trying to open files via the FTP connection: "Failed to check if file "filename" exists. Data connection cannot be opened with this PROT setting."

Seems to happen with all files and I have no idea what it means unfortunately, haven't heard of a PROT setting before. Did a quick forum search and a Google search but that didn't yield any solutions that I could seemly use within the context of PhpED.

I've tried connecting to a different server using the exact same settings and that appears to be okay. So I'm guessing the problem is perhaps with the way my VPS server's FTP is set-up being incompatible with something that PhpED now does since 6.0 when connecting via FTP. However not quite sure what to do, and thought I'd post it here in case someone knows of PhpED setting or tweak somewhere.

Anyone have this problem or know what I should do to resolve it? If not I guess I'll just revert back to 5.9, but if anyone has any ideas they'd be much appreciated!

Cheers.
Guru master

The error is from your FTP server and this is the googled explanation it:

Quote:
This reply is sent in response to an FTP APPE, STOR, STOU, RETR, NLST, or LIST command when secure data connections are required, but the FTP session has not set up secure data connections. This reply is also sent when secure data connections are not allowed, but the FTP session is set up for secure data connections.

The error could indicate the PhpED has not sent the correct set of commands to setup a secure connection. I'd recommend reporting the issue to NuSphere support if you haven't already done so, including the name & version of which FTP server you are using.
Guru master

I don't normally use FTPS, I prefer SFTP. However, I've just configured FTPS on a CentOS 5.5 server running ProFTPD 1.3.3c Server

I'm using PhpED build 6026 just for testing, as I don't yet trust version 6 for work. My tests with listing/reading/writing files and folders have so far worked perfectly, so this seems to indicate PhpED & FTPS is capable of working and there are some factors causing issues for some people.

Likewise, in another thread I mentioned that I had SFTP also working fine (so far) to ProFTPD, although some people are saying they are having SFTP problems.

Whilst FTP is supposed to be standard, the various FTP servers and huge combinations of settings, plus firewall implications, can cause various issues. It is not unusual for FTP clients to need fixes for various FTP servers, but a little disappointing the PhpED 6 beta was not released to more people so that more testing could have been done. I'm not currently convinced that NuSphere have a good beta testing sysem.

I will now install PhpED 6028 to see if the error starts appearing, to determine if this is a bug introduced since PhpED 6026.
Guru master

Just downloaded and installed PhpED 6028. FTPS and SFTP still working fine.

Do you have a local firewall application installed that could be blocking some aspects of PhpED 6, but was not blocking PhpED 5.9?

Hi plugnplay,

Thanks for replying and doing some testing on the issue.

My FTP server is Pure-FTPD and I've ConfigServer Security & Firewall v5.32 installed on the server.

I've managed to grab a bit of time today to have a play with the FTP server settings and have found that the problem will only come up when my TLS Encryption Support for the Pure-FTPD server is set to required for both the command and data channels. It seems that it's capable of working when TLS Encryption Support is set to required but only for the command channel and will also work when TLS Encryption Support is set to optional. Seems to be a problem linked to securing the data channel. In PhpED I have the box ticked for securing the data channel on my FTP connection so not sure what is going wrong there.

I can get by for now with securing just the command channel, but would like to force the data channel to be secure also, so guess I should log the problem with NuSphere now?

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers.

Mark
Site Admin

if you experienced problems -- please report them here http://www.nusphere.com/contact_us
Our support will be happy to help you.