NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
First impressions

Hi all I'm a n00b here.

Tiny IDE history

Recommended conTEXT by an admired dev stayed with it for years.
Needed more as projects increased in complexity.

Just installed phped following a 90 trial of Studio Prof and I thought I'd give some early feedback.

I'll give the negatives first: -

1) 14 day trial imo is a bit "tight" the 90 I squeezed (well a book offer actually) from (the other company) admittedly is probably too long but 30 days would be far more reasonable an assessment period especially given the plethora of free stuff out there. Having said that in my case I HAVE to buy something so the strategy "may" well work in my case.

2) Indentation .. I was disappointed that phped indents just selected lines and not all lines; but more than that it doesn't "intelligently" indent by which I mean e.g. auto indenting lines following a class/method/function declaration.

I know it seems lazy but the ability to "re-indent" a whole file after "mucking about with it" was extremely useful and time saving.

3) Initial file debug .. now this is likely to be more me not having spent enough time on it atm but I had to set up access to my local PC dev server (whereas before I just clicked a debug button for the file in question) then when I tried to debug it didn't pick up that echo $yada had not been previously declared. As I say too early for me to really comment.

4) Tortoise functions not available on the file edit screen.

Positives:

1) Much much faster .. Studio really gets on my nerves when you close all your windows then open another file .. you sit there in JAVAsville wasting time.

2) Given that I've only just started coding on it it is intuitive and easy to start doing the basics.

3) Other than indenting the text highlighting and general PHP IDE looks at least as good. I have also not yet spotted any major annoyances like Studios occasional wish to set the curser a line above were you actually are so that when you click delete you are deleting from the line above.

Hmmm Studio 4 phped 3 .. that is NOT the way I currently see it. I used Studio for 3 months and I have now used phped for just 2 days (and I haven't coded much) my initial impression is that phped is at least as good and the speed is a major bonus.

Don't know if you guys find this in the least interesting but as I have been given a free trial I felt compelled to feedback.

Rob

1. 30 days is more standard I agree
2. smart indentation would be nice - would help troubleshooting complicated sctipts
3. Debug settings use error level specified in php.ini - but while we're on the topic, yes it would be nice if breakpoints also worked on any line, not just executed statements
4. Tortoise functions ARE available under "shell menu" in right click menu

Smile
Guru master

Quote:

Or Ctrl+Right click to go to the shell menu immediately Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

Blizz wrote:
Quote:

Or Ctrl+Right click to go to the shell menu immediately Smile

I have the shell menu available in the left hand explorer window but not in the center "coding" window.
Guru master

Correct, it is only available in the explorer-like windows.
I think it could be confusing to have a shell menu option only part of the time (as the editor can also have files that aren't saved yet, which would make shell functionality impossible)
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Formatting / Indentation

Hey,

With regards to indentation, my version does tab in automatically after typing a block code opening statement (such as 'function whatever() {').

You should have a look in the editor settings dialog in case you can do something there...

Maybe I mis-understand your problem...

PHPEd bundles Polystyle which I believe has the ability to format your PHP nicely for you.

Maybe that will help a bit?

Thanks for the Ctrl+Right Click tip. That's going to be a huge time savings for me. I agree that there should be built in support for SVN so that we could easily press a few buttons to upload/download our project and maybe even support conflict resolution in the IDE. These guys are smart enough to build what many of us deem to be the best editor on the market, so it shouldn't be a huge stretch to reverse engineer Tortoise. Or perhaps contract them to build a plugin...

That's a great 'hidden' feature! Smile

Yeahhh SVN support!!
And I absolutely need included sftp support for projects and mapping/debugging.

I am working with nusphere for about 3 years now. I have tried zend studio recently; al the functions are nice but it is slow!!!!! Specialy compared to nusphere.

Yeahhh SVN support!!

I am working with nusphere for about 3 years now. I have tried zend studio recently; al the functions are nice but it is slow!!!!! Specialy compared to nusphere.
Veteran

nieuwhier wrote:
SFTP (as in SSH File Transfer Protocol) is there already and working like a charm Wink

anno wrote:
nieuwhier wrote:
SFTP (as in SSH File Transfer Protocol) is there already and working like a charm Wink
I guess he means secure FTP?

Steve.
First impressions