NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Veteran

monkies wrote:
I got one question, what are the DBGable URLs?
Those are the URLs you want to allow debugging for. If the current URL (that you browser is displaying) is not in the list, then the DBG buttons are not active.

You would typically enter something like:
Code:
http://localhost
http://*.myfirstdomain.com
http://*.myseconddomain.com

Can we add that sentence into the 'options' box please:

"These are the URLs you want to allow debugging for. If the current URL (that you browser is displaying) is not in the list, then the DBG buttons are not active. "

That would be really cool Smile

The tool bar is really neat, I must learn how to make firefox plugins.

monk.e.boy

monkies wrote:
Can we add that sentence into the 'options' box please:

"These are the URLs you want to allow debugging for. If the current URL (that you browser is displaying) is not in the list, then the DBG buttons are not active. "

That would be really cool Smile

The tool bar is really neat, I must learn how to make firefox plugins.

monk.e.boy

For some reason after an PHPED update the FF toolbar does not work.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Veteran

The DBG toolbar is working fine for me on the current build 5632. Usually the buttons are inactive only if the URL is not present in the list of DBCable URLs. I suggest you check if your URL is present under Options Wink

My prior post regarding this was deleted. I assume this was for technical reasons, as there wasn't (IMO) anything contentious in it.

This issue is the main barrier for me getting acceptance of nuSphere IDE among our development team.

In IE, using nuSphere's plug in, I can load a page without debugger being turned on, then check "debug session", and then click a button on my page that results in making an ajax-like POST to a php page through an mshtml object. Debugging starts up, and everything works perfectly! But, alas, there's no firebug for IE for javascript debugging.

In FF, we have FireBug which lets us debug the javascript, and follow the code right into the .php calls. Using the latest dbgBar, I usually cannot debug the ajax calls at all, and when I can, it's only after using "debug this page" and reloading the page. I have never been able to simply toggle "debug session" on, and have it start debugging on the fly like i can in IE.

Does anyone have this working?

Note: I understand about, and have tested using debugBreak() statements to force a break, but Standards here absolutely refuses to allow us to do that for fear that the statements will make it into production code, and be unrunnable at customer sites.

Help! I want to switch to this IDE for a lot of reasons (speed being the primary one... every other IDE bogges down under all the pages in our project).

-Allen
Veteran

I am a Firefox user, and have been debugging AJAX calls. Occasionally I have experienced issues initiating a remote DBG session, and using debugbreak() invariable solved the problem (the cause of such problems would be SSH tunnel related, rather than PhpED bugs). I understand why you are wary of using debugbreak() and accidentally leaving it in your code, but it is a very useful feature; maybe you can build some search for debugbreak() into your QA system?

Internet Explorer 8 includes a JavaScript debugger. I have not used it in any detail, but it seems to do the basics well. Maybe this is an option for you?

Quote:
My prior post regarding this was deleted. I assume this was for technical reasons, as there wasn't (IMO) anything contentious in it.

This issue is the main barrier for me getting acceptance of nuSphere IDE among our development team.

I'm not sure why you're addressing to NuSphere development team a thing that they did not develop?
Indeed, it's clear that "dbgBar", debugger toolbar for FireFox is NOT a NuSphere product.
Should you need to contact the author (Ian Flory, iflo) please do it, but make it clearer what you're doing and whom you're contacting, please.

Quote:
In FF, we have FireBug which lets us debug the javascript, and follow the code right into the .php calls. Using the latest dbgBar, I usually cannot debug the ajax calls at all, and when I can, it's only after using "debug this page" and reloading the page. I have never been able to simply toggle "debug session" on, and have it start debugging on the fly like i can in IE.

I'd recommend you to try scriplets
Set DBG session:
javascript: document.cookie = 'DBGSESSID=' + escape('1;d=1,p=0,s=1') + '; path=/';
Clear DBG session:
javascript: document.cookie = 'DBGSESSID=' + escape('1;d=0,p=0,s=0') + '; path=/';

I thought that since this was iFlo's thread about his dbgBar addon, this was the perfect place to post a question about the topic he started.

Without his dbgBar, nuSphere phpIDE would not have made it past our first set of IDE requirements.
I didn't realize my post appeared to address the development team specifically.

I apologize if anyone interpreted my issues with his 3rd party add-on as issues with your product.

But this does beg a great question.... since nuSphere's IE toolbar seems to work perfectly, is nuSphere going to write a FireFox toolbar that works as well as the IE toolbar?

The bottom line is that our developers are used to being able to turn on and off debugging dynamically in FireFox with a single click of a button, and have any php calls to the server debugged real-time, and right now, I cannot do that with phpEd.

Can someone release this for firefox 3.5?

I upgraded and now I am stuck without a debugger Sad

Please help!

monk.e.boy
Veteran

The DBGbar was developed by Ian Flory, a PhpED user. Ian has not posted on this forum in over a year, which does raise a question about the continued development of this excellent FF extension. It works fine in the current FF 3.0, but your comment suggests that we will be in trouble in FF 3.5. Crying or Very sad

Perhaps NuSphere would want to agree something with the author and take over the development? Idea

God, I love open source. I did a little hacking and made a new toolbar for Firefox 3.5.*:

http://teethgrinder.co.uk/blog/NuSphere-PHPeD-firefox-debug-toolbar/

Leave a comment if you like it.

monk.e.boy

Hi guys, I'm still alive (just)! Apologies for the lack of response on the forum - as is usual with these things I have a family now and my available time has disappeared.

Thanks for releasing a FF3.5 version - its a simple tweak I know, but I've not got round to install 3.5 yet and checking that all the functions are still supported - if I get a spare hour this weekend I might try and release an official update.

I'm not precious about hanging on to the toolbar code - if anyone would like to take it over as a proper open source project then great, let me know, otherwise I will probably contact NuSphere to see if they would like to continue its development - I appreciate there is nothing worse that a bit of software you use getting a small update once in a blue moon!

Let me know what you think

Ian
Firefox toolbar for DBG available