NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
File tab settings and control

Hey all, just wondering if there is any way to alter the behavior of the file tabs. I often work with mutiple files open and I find that when using PhpED that It's very easy to get your tabs all mixed up. A small thing, but I find it often breaks my concentration.

Specifically, I really hate the way that double clicking to open a file from the workspace inserts the file's tab to the right of the current, and not at the right. It's not exactly in line with the default behavior of tabs and I for one find it really intrusive.

I might have two linked files that I'm working on, and I open a file just to look something up, but when I go to go back to one of the original tabs, the tabs have been moved.

I realize I can re-arrange tabs, but really ... if I want it inserted in the middle, I'll drag it there or open the files in sequence. I can think of more reasons to have them tacked onto the end than I can inserted into the tab list.

Is there any way to control this?

Cheers

I would like to 2nd this issue. I tend to have 20 or even 30 or more files open at once sometimes.

I find it way easier to just re-double click the file from the tree view, to switch to its open file tab, than searching thru the tabs.

I think there should be a feature that lets you have multiple rows of open file tabs, sorta like how tabs mix plus for firefox lets you.

So you can see all the tabs open at once, or atleast the vast majority.

Feature Request! - Rows of File Tabs. In firefox, I have upto 3 rows set, makes life so much nicer.
View user's profileFind all posts by skalirSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Veteran

I really want to have lots of tabs be organized better, but I always get concerned when the issue of multiple rows tabs comes up. Like the small number of other controls that MS has contributed to the world, multi-row tabs have huge usability issues. In particular, MS's implementations always have the tabs jumping all over the place as you switch among them. Thus, you can click once to select a file, but then clicking again in the exact same spot selects a different file; it's true madness that flies in the face of HI research. I know I still see this in MS's current wares, but are others' modern implementations still doing this, or are they doing something better these days?
View user's profileFind all posts by bobwilliamsSend private messageVisit poster's website

Totally agree. Open file navigation is really important for me. I have to use Workspace tree to open file I need, I really hate this, because my tree is too big for that. I would like to have a separate window for list of opened files. At least it would be better for me if i can move tabs to the left or right side of editor window, then i can see more ~12 tabs.

Waiting for the feature.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by dumka on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
File tab settings and control