NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
file icons under Vista

I upgraded to the latest build of PhpED today (5025) and now when the load/save window appears all of the icons next to the filenames vanish. It doesn't happen immediately, it is as if PhpED is checking each file for something, and then removes the icons (they go blank) one by one. This didn't happen on the previous build of 5.0 I had, and suspect it is something to do with the TortiseCVS icon change/fix.

Running on Vista 32-bit.

Oh and the new insistence that you must have a / in the Top publishing directory (rather than have it blank like 99% of my accounts) is very annoying Smile

Cheers,

Rich
View user's profileFind all posts by corephpSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Are the icons shown okay in the Windows Explorer?
Does PhpED's explorer show them fine or the problem is in both explorer and Workspace window? Did you update/upgrade Tortoise SVN recently?

The icons are fine in Windows Explorer AND in the Workspace file list within PhpED. It is *only* the file load/save window that they all vanish.

I haven't touched TortiseCVS (I don't use SVN). It only happened when I put 5025 on.

Cheers,

Rich
View user's profileFind all posts by corephpSend private messageVisit poster's website

I've noticed this as well, as soon as I upgraded to 5025 the icons in PHPed explorer tab vanished. I do use Tortoise SVN but as the guy above doesn't I don't think that is the problem.

As above, Vista 32bit.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlackGasSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

there are no known issues tortoise icons under Vista 32bit:

I checked PhpED 5.0.5025 and Tortoise 1.4.3.8645

I uninstalled Tortoise, it still happens:

It also happens on the 'Explorer' tab WITHIN PhpEd (but obviously not within Windows Explorer). But it doesn't happen on the Workspace tab.

It definitely doesn't happen instantly.. all of the icons are there at the start and then they vanish in blocks of 20 or so, as if PhpED is checking each file for something, resulting in the icon going. When all of the icons have finally vanished the directory drop-down list refreshes itself 3 or 4 times.

Cheers,

Rich
Site Admin

Did you reboot after Tortoise was uninstalled?
Please also make sure that you have all the updates installed for your Vista.

Yes I rebooted. Vista auto-updates itself, I just checked and there are no critical updates I don't have.

I'll remove CSVNT as well and test again. I only use Perforce anyway so it won't make any difference to me (oh to have SCC integration!)

Are you running TortiseSVN with cached mode off? I run it with cached mode off to speed things up, it slows down vista a lot when it is running in cached mode. I found that when I disable TortiseSVN cache mode, things speed up greatly but icons go away.
Site Admin

2snorkelbuckle:
Quote:
...disable TortiseSVN cache mode, things speed up greatly but icons go away
are you takinng about overlays that Tortoise adds, they are green okays or red exclamations. Or you mean whole the base icons so the file list becomes as if no icon in the system exist at all?
What Tortoise version do you use? And where is the setting to turn its cache off?

dmitri wrote:
2snorkelbuckle:
Quote:
...disable TortiseSVN cache mode, things speed up greatly but icons go away
are you takinng about overlays that Tortoise adds, they are green okays or red exclamations. Or you mean whole the base icons so the file list becomes as if no icon in the system exist at all?
What Tortoise version do you use? And where is the setting to turn its cache off?

I'm using tortoisesvn 1.4.3 build 8645

You can find the setting under "Settings" > Icon Overlay -> Status Cache

You don't get the same thing with actual icons disappearing, what you get is the overlays not showing. But when cache is enabled, icons take sometime to refresh and may give appearance of disappearing on a slow machine when the svn/cvs tree is huge. I thought it might be related to what the poster was seeing. Perhaps try disabling status cache to see if this makes difference.

Ok I have uninstalled everything CVS related from Vista. That's Tortoise, CVSNT and WinCVS. All of them gone totally. I've rebooted, confirmed they are no more and PhpED still does the 'vanishing icons' thing. So the issue is *nothing* to do with CVS, it's purely within a change between PhpED 5025 and the previous build I was using. This is on Windows Vista 32-bit Home Premium version, running a very high spec PC. The only other software running is Perforce and Firefox, neither of which alter my icons in any way.

I must stress again that this did NOT happen in the previous build of PhpED, even with CVS fully installed. I don't wish to install the old version just to check if it works again, but I will install the new build on a Windows XP machine I have and see if the icons work or not (I suspect they will work fine).
file icons under Vista