NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Site Admin

2snorkelbuckle:
Quote:
what you get is the overlays not showing

please take a look at the file list shown on the originial screenshot:

You'll see that the problem is not with overlays.
More over, on the fresh Vista install, they work pretty good:

2corephp:
Quote:
So the issue is *nothing* to do with CVS, it's purely within a change between PhpED 5025 and the previous build I was using

I'd add Vista and other software you still have there too. Because under XP phped-5025 works good and under a fresh Vista install it works without problems too. Do you have another machine with possibly fresh Vista to check with?
If you're a customer, I'd highly recommend you to contact support team via Contact us form:
http://shop.nusphere.com/contact_us

Yes I'm a customer, but what is the support team going to tell me that you can't? Smile

Don't forget that I'm not the only person this happens to, another guy posted the exact same thing happened to him when he upgraded to 5025, so I'll be amazed if this has anything to do with Vista per se. It doesn't happen in any other application I've got I'm afraid.
View user's profileFind all posts by corephpSend private messageVisit poster's website

I would recommend you look at how PhpEd was installed with regard to permissions. I've been using Vista for awhile now and almost all of the problems I've had with PhpEd and/or other applications were due to permissions. Vista changed things this way as you know. The other problem required an update from microsoft.

I believe the icons you see missing are really icons that are provided by PhpEd, correct? They would be the 'php' icon. Dmitri, correct if wrong, but these icons reside in nusphere directory? So maybe this is a permissions thing? What if you navigate to some other directory outside of PHPed, do icons show for other files such as .txt or .doc?

First thing I would do is go to the program files directory where you installed nusphere and set the perms so that Everybody has read/write access. It will also make things like the php formatter begin to work.

Next, check that you have not tweaked UAC to no longer prompt you when you make installations. This is nice to get rid of UAC prompts, but then it can in some situations prevent proper installation of your software. (Some software providers say to disable UAC in order to allow their software to install, but this is the lazy way and it can cause other problems, like make your system vulnerable to virus and spyware).

Look for this registry key to see if UAC has been disabled:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System\EnableLUA

If it is 0, then it is disbled, 1 means enabled. If you change it, you have to reboot for it to be active.
Site Admin

Right, it looks like a good explanation.
2corephp: PhpED provides icons for php files via association. Please check if .php is still associated with phped.exe and select appropriate icon from the list.
Alternatively you may run a console "As Administrator" then cd "c:\program files\nusphere\phped" and run phped.exe with -RegServer commandline argument. It will restore shell associations.

Hi everyone,

I've got the same problem under Vista Home Premium with latest updates and PhpEd 5025.

To eliminate possible proposed sources for this problem:
- I'm running under the Administrator account with UAC disabled
- I didn't install any CVS handling program (CVS, Tortoise...)
- The problem is visible only in "Open", "Save as" dialogs and in the Explorer left panel (icons are displayed fine in Workspace panel though)
- PhpEd icons are still associated with "php" type
- Icons are briefly displayed than disappear

Maybe with those precisions, you can figure out and look for another explanation than CVS or Vista rights... ?

Just to chime in,

Between 5025 and the previous build I haven't changed any software on my PC or added anything new, the moment 5025 was on the icons disapeared (as noted above). I do run Tortoise SVN but others don't so I can't see how it is responsible.

Dimitri, I think it was 5025 that fixed the icon overlays for vista, is there any way this code could be effecting the "Open", "Save as" dialogs and in the Explorer left panel?
View user's profileFind all posts by BlackGasSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
Dimitri, I think it was 5025 that fixed the icon overlays for vista

okay, medifirst explained how to eliminate the problem Smile while I'd need a way on how to replicate it.
I run UAC-enabled Vista and tested with least privileged user, whose account was removed from the Administrators group, so it's a regular user, and all worked fine, as I shown on the screenshot.
Also, I'd like to know if you tried what I suggested:
Quote:
Alternatively you may run a console "As Administrator" then cd "c:\program files\nusphere\phped" and run phped.exe with -RegServer commandline argument. It will restore shell associations.

Ok Dmitri, I think I've got interesting news for you concerning the problem.

first, I think I didn't make myself clear enough in my previous post, because I didn't find a way to remove the problem. I just announced sources for the problem that could be ignored (CVS and Vista rights) since I didn't have CVS installed and I ran PhpEd under Administator with UAC disabled.

Now, digging more into the problem, I tried to install TortoiseSVN and guess what ?!! The icons of the files that are controlled by SVN appear normally in the Explorer tab whereas navigating in other folders with files uncontrolled by SVN still got the problem with icons (appear shortly then disappear).

So 2 conclusions to this post:

1) To temporarily remove the problem with icons under Vista, install SVN and try to add SVN control to your project
2) Dmitri, you should definitely review the updates you made in this release to correct the overlay icons problem that appeared with SVN

Good luck !
Veteran

Any news on that ? Did u manage to replicate the problem ?

Thanks in advance and good luck for the fix

Hi. Just to chime in - I just did a fresh installed Vista Ultimate 64-bit and am using build 5025 of phped with the latest version of TortoiseSVN and I've got the same problem with disappearing icons. I've followed the various suggested steps in this including uninstalling Tortoise, the -RegServer step, and playing around with the status cache settings and I haven't been able to clear the problem. To be clear:

- Icons are completely missing from the file open/save dialogs
    - Icons are also missing from the explorer pane
    - Icons do appear in the workspace view, but without the SVN overlays
    - Windows Explorer shows the SVN overlays fine
Site Admin

there are problems with Vista shell API that cause the problem with icons. We found a workaround and it will be available soon.

dmitri wrote:
there are problems with Vista shell API that cause the problem with icons. We found a workaround and it will be available soon.

Good to hear as I also have the missing Icons problem.

Do you have an update on when you can make the fix available to us?

Dave.
file icons under Vista