NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Feature Request: Closing Bracket Overtype

In Zend Studio, closing brackets are overtyped in the same way that quotes work in PhpED.

Example:
In Zend Studio, if I type
Code:
require('include.php');
I get
Code:
require('include.php');

For contrast, in PhpED, if I type
Code:
require('include.php');
I get
Code:
require('include.php'));

Changing this would be a big help for us. You already have it working correctly for quotes, so brackets shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Thanks.
Site Admin

I see no logic here. Either don't enter closing brackets at all or if you do enter them, don't check "auto-close brackets".

I think he means that if you actually type the closing bracket by yourself, perhaps by mistake, it will overtype the one just added.
That's the way it works in Zend Studio. I do have to admit I understand the logic behind it.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

The logic that you do not see is that I don't want to move my hands from typing position to hit an arrow key to bypass the close bracket so I can type the semi-colon at the end of the line. The IDE inserts the second parenthesis whether I have auto-close brackets enabled or not. I am beginning to wish we had not wasted money on this software given the "Your silly problem doesn't make any sense to us; go away." attitude that I've gotten each time I contacted support. But that's ok; I'm sure you'll just delete this post anyway.
Guru master

FYI: A related discussion is going on here.
I understand what you are saying and couldn't agree more, but I cannot confirm your claim about the faulty workings of the editor with
auto-close brackets off. If I turn that function off the editor does not add parentheses, as expected. I tested this with the latest build (5220).

As for the rest, I don't always agree with the way things are handled here personally (like the deletion of topics or the sometimes rather "bossy" replies), but this forum is property of NuSphere and they can moderate it however they want. All in all, I'm glad this forum exists, it has helped me out a lot despite of all that. Everyone is attempting to contribute here and we are all only human, no? (Just my $0.02) Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Feel free to open a new thread with questions to be voted: for/against these changes.

I also vote for this topic. "auto-close brackets" is more disturbing than helpful if I want to type fast...
That is really one of the features where Zend works better (more intuitive).

But it could just be my style of typing code problematic? Smile
Feature Request: Closing Bracket Overtype