NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
External Diff Tool for CVS diff

Would be nice to have the oppertunity to use a external Diff Tool.
Site Admin

I think that diff provided with cvs is good enough. You can correct command line arguments to set a different format for diff results.
See CVS tab in the settings dialog and CVS manual.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Thanks for your fast reply!

I think a visual diff (like Visual Comparer Freeware) would never the less be a great addition as a feature.
You're right, the CVS Diff IS good enough but a little more luxury would make PHPEd stand out from crowd a little more.

I personally like the way WinCVS managed this.

Just my oppionion.

I also think that the option to use an external CVS diff would make phpED a lot better than it already is Smile
Site Admin

I would agree but, please look, it's not too easy to have such tools integrated because what cvs gives as an output is just prepared difference, either in universal format or not. Yet it is not the same as two sources that should be passed to a 3rd party tool like VizComparer.
What we can do is provide a special highliter that would make it easirt viewing such diffs.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

To use external diff programs shouldn't be that hard to implement, you should check how the Open Source TortoiseCVS does it.
The higlighter might be even harder to do Wink ...
Anyway, these are just suggestions Smile
Site Admin

thanks, I'll take a look.
tintub

This should be really easy - and it is definitely a much needed feature.

I use ExamDiff on windows - to integrate this into NuSphere, you would just need to checkout the previous version to a temp dir and then pass the two file paths as arguments to ExamDiff. In fact, this might even be able to be done as a macro without extra coding - I haven't looked in depth into the macros as I have only been evaluating NuSphere for two days. If you implement this, I imagine most diff tools can be called with two file paths as arguments. Easy peasy Smile

No decent diff viewer would be a deal breaker for some of the developers on my team. At the moment we use Zend, but I am getting too fed up with looking at Zend's nasty aliased fonts on my LCD.
External Diff Tool for CVS diff