NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Exporting Profile Data

The profile function is great, however it does not include, as far as I can determine, any summaries ... like the total time for an entire request. So I would like to be able to copy and paste the data to Excel for further analysis but it doesn't work. The only thing you can highlight (select) is the first column. So copy and paste won't work.

The XML output looks very complete but (a) I don't have a way to get it to Excel and Microsoft in their wisdom doesn't make their XML toolbox available for the version of Excel that I'm running and (b) there are cases where I'd love to be able to just copy what's on the Profile screen, like the summary by module ... I don't need all the detail very often.

I've even tried screen capturing the screen with Snagit and doing OCR on it but the resolution isn't good enough to let Snagit transform it to text. If I just had columnar text I could easily enough import it to Excel.

Suggestions appreciated.

Running build 4627
Site Admin

save as CSV file. CSV stands for comma separated values and this format is supported by Excel.
Regarding XML you can parse it using XML easily Smile

A CSV file would be great if I could figure out how to do it. On the Profiler window, after the Profiler results were visible, I clicked the disk button for export and the only file format choice it gave was xml. I tried to override it with a CSV extension but it gave me a XML file anyway.

Where would I go to do the CSV export?

And yes, I know that an XML file can be parsed but I was seeking to save the time required to do it myself or find and install a product that would do it for me. If you (or anyone on this board) knows of such a product I'd be happy to have a recommendation. I've already gone down 2 hours of dead ends trying to use Excel.
Site Admin

I'm sorry, I didn't express it correct. I had to say that we will implement export profiler output into CSV in a future version/update.

Thank you for considering that. I've looked thru the XML file and can see that there is a lot of data there. I can see the possible table structure for a MYSQL database too but there's hours if not days of programming to get that right and then I would still need to write summarization programs.

I hope you can also find a way to make the Profiler output screens copy and pastable. You've already done so much of the summarization work to get those screens and having the formats (summarize by module, function etc) be copy-able would be great. If you could also put totals on the report that would be even better. In fact, having totals would remove one of the main reasons I need to copy and paste the data somewhere else.
Site Admin

I'm sorry, I didn't express it correct. I had to say that we will implement export profiler output into CSV in a future version/update.

Exporting profiler data into CSV files and Copy selected table rows into Clipboard will be available in forthcoming build 4628

Thank you!! And if you could just take a look at putting some summaries for the entire run on the screen it would put a nice finish to an already great product.
CSV export

Well first thanks for the effort. I was able to export the CSV data into a spreadsheet. After deleting the extraneous "ms" strings I was even able to summarize it. However for a simple run of my content management system that involved several modules I wound up with almost 2400 lines of output. While the detail of how much each function and even how much each statement contributes in many cases we are interested in the bottom line or at least in summaries by module.

For instance, on your profiler if I click on M for module I get a very nice summary by module. But I get no totals for the whole run. Nor do I have the ability to just select all the data (I know what I am looking at is calculated summaries but to me it's data) on the screen and do a COPY and then open up Excel and do a paste.

If you could eventually address both issues ... putting totals on the screen and making the screen copy and pasteable it would be a further improvement for an already great product.

Thank you.
Site Admin

Quote:
Nor do I have the ability to just select all the data

You have this ability and it works the same way as in Windows Explorer.
Select first, scroll down and select last while holding down Shift key. Or click on an empty white space and drag mouse across the leftmost column to get it all selected. Finally, there is Select All in the popup Smile.

Regarding summary, it would not be accurate. We have only min and max time and number of hits for all the lines. We can sum their average values but it would not get average of the real execution time. It's math Smile To get accurate summary we'd need to make some improvements in the profiler itself and accumulate necessary data.

Let's say I run Profiler and then click the Modules button to get summary by modules. Now what I get is each module listed on the screen and a total time figure for that module. Why would a summary of the total times for all modules be invalid arithmetic?

Further, yes I can select the whole screen ... that is from the first module down to the bottom And I can copy it and I can paste it into Excel. But here is a small sample of what I get:

Quote:
mysql.php,,,"4.9 sec",,,"100% / 0%"
mysql.php(106),168,"26.01 ms","4.4 sec","0.144 ms","880.4 ms","100% / 1%"
mysql.php(54),1,"441.8 ms","441.8 ms","441.8 ms","441.8 ms","10% / 10%"
mysql.php(61),1,"25.82 ms","25.82 ms","25.82 ms","25.82 ms","1% / 1%"
mysql.php(109),168,"0.037 ms","6.180 ms","0.002 ms","5.667 ms","0% / 0%"
mysql.php(208),256,"0.019 ms","4.926 ms","0.006 ms","0.150 ms","0% / 0%"

That's just from the first module of about 20. In the output I am looking at I get about 2400 lines of output that way. The first line in my quoted extract is the total and I could deal with getting that but what I'd really like what's on the screen: the module name and the total time for that module. I could even deal with adding the totals in Excel although it would be way better if the total was calculated on the screen. A lot of times what I want to do is to compare different approaches to programming my system, a number of "scenarios" and quickly be able to see how they affect the overall time. Having the total time calculated would be handy, but as I said, if I can get a manageable amount of data over to excel (just the totals by module) I could do the rest myself. Dealing with 2500 lines of output for each of a dozen "scenarios" makes it much more difficult.

Thanks again.
Exporting Profile Data