NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Error when trying to switch to a different project

Hello, intermittently I get this error when trying to switch projects, it states:
Cannot create file "C:\Users\Oleg\Roaming\Nusphere\PhpED\projects\Main.dsk". The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open.

I don't know what that means, nor am I doing anything out of the ordinary. I think it's definitely a bug. Sometimes I also get errors just clicking on Save All, although clicking on Save immediately afterwards does NOT generate the same error, and saves just fine.

I've noticed these problems started a few versions back. I'm running the latest version now, btw.

If you want to report this as a bug then you can use the form at http://www.nusphere.com/contact_us/

I had similar issues with PhpED v12 where project files were often locked open, with nearly every save. I had to retry saves multiple times before they would work. I was not getting 'user-mapped section open' as an error.

I did a post about the error and asked others if they had the same thing; not one person responded to say they had a similar problem.

I am reasonably convinced it was my anti-virus causing the problem, even though I excluded PhpED project files from anti-virus scanning. At some point I updated my anti-virus and also updated PhpED; the problem has not re-occurred for many months.

At any rate, it is likely you will get problems if you anti-virus does lock files whilst PhpED needs to write to them.

What anti-virus do you use and what happens if you try disabling it?
No antivirus - not an option

Thanks, I'll contact them there... As for turning off antivirus to just be able to save? I think that's going to be a deal-breaker. I've used PhpED for years and mostly like it, but if you can't save with your antivirus going (I'm using Avast btw) - I'll have to switch to something that can, unless they fix it... yesterday Smile

If your anti-virus locks files, that isn't PhpED's fault, that is your anti-virus fault.

Most anti-virus allow you to adjust the settings to exclude directories/files that don't need scanning; I exclude the whole of the PhpED project directory where all the PPX, DSK, etc. files are.

I used to sell a few different brands of anti-virus and saw a variety of issues, rarely if ever anything to do with applications. Some anti-virus will still interfere with things despite indicating that scanning is disabled and some anti-virus have scanning 'bugs' that subsequently get fixed between versions.

I think it was ESET 5 that caused my issues. I never upgraded to ESET 6; probably should have because I paid for it as part of the subscription :-/

I'm currently on ESET 7 and haven't had any more locked files.

A very quick google on Avast indicates it has been known for being involved in various errors with 'user-mapped section open'. Temporarily disabling anti-virus is the only way to confirm if that is the cause, sometimes even uninstalling the anti-virus is required.
Error when trying to switch to a different project