NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Environment variables in SRV local web server

I want to debug some code both locally (using SRV local WEBserver) and remotely (using 3rd party WEB server).

My code uses the PHP getenv function to get the value of an Apache environment variable on the remote server. In order to replicate the behaviour locally, I therefore need to set the equivalent environment variable in the SRV server.

How is this done?

I can't see anything relating to this in the PhpED's SRV settings dialog.

Daniel
Guru master

The local SRV is very limited in functionality (basically just enough to allow debugging). I don't think it actually has support for environment variables.
Might I suggest adding a wrapper function around the code that returns the environment variable and in which you detect whether you are running remote or locally? Perhaps you can use $_SERVER [ 'SERVER_ADDR' ] ?
If it's present and set to ip X you're running on apache. If it's set to ip Y it's locally and then you return the value from an array or hardcoded. Assuming the $_SERVER array even contains IPs on SRV Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

SRV server obtains all the environment variables from the system. So if you have a variable set in the system environment variables, you'll see it in the php running under SRV too. (don't forget to exit and re-run SRV after you change the system environment).
After all you can install local Apache and work with it. See NuSphere TechPlatform (free) product.

Thanks for the proposed workaround, Blizz. I actually had a workaround, but want to work with environment variables in my live system, so really want to be able to test and debug using environment variables also.

Dmitri's solution gives me what I need.

Thanks to both of you.

Daniel
Environment variables in SRV local web server