NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
English spelling check engine for PhpED

Hi,

Is it possible to add English spelling check engine to PhpED? I am sure most of PHP developers use to write lots of comments for their functions, methods or just variables and I think grammar checker will help.

I think this will somehow help in reducing amount of mistyped variable’s names. For example: $counter could be typed as $conuter. It will be even better if engine will be able to check merged words $counterValue or $counter_value (this both styles are standards in coding).

Thank you in advance

Vitali

Big thumbsup from me!

As I guess nobody is going to add this feature Smile Even the simple QIP messenger have managed to add spelling check engine to their program. As they said they use some separate program which checks message box contents and checks it. At the worst you can do the same with PhpED.

Delphi wrote:
As I guess nobody is going to add this feature Smile Even the simple QIP messenger have managed to add spelling check engine to their program. As they said they use some separate program which checks message box contents and checks it. At the worst you can do the same with PhpED.

Aspell is used by Pidgin for their spell checking, so I assume it could be possible to add a script to PhpEd that just feeds the current selection/document to Aspell. Not 100%s sure how one would do it, as it'd have to be command line I assume.
Site Admin

not sure if this is of any help, but you can try to invoke external tools the same way as described in this forum phped-integration-scripts-f18.html

Cjunge wrote:
Aspell is used by Pidgin for their spell checking, so I assume it could be possible to add a script to PhpEd that just feeds the current selection/document to Aspell. Not 100%s sure how one would do it, as it'd have to be command line I assume.

Thanks, looks really interesting but after reading program's manual I came to conclusion that it could be used with program which has option to use Aspell.
Quote:
Aspell can be used as a drop in replacement for Ispell for programs that use Ispell through a pipe such as Emacs and LyX. It can also be used with programs that use simple call the ispell command and expect the original file to be overwritten with the corrected version. It support the basic features of Ispell, however it does not currently have a Nroff mode so there may be situations in which you still wish to use Ispell. Nevertheless, I have been using Aspell for Xemacs and LyX since the middle of September of 1998 with out any problems.

I think PhpED developers will be able to add it without any difficulties.

dmitri wrote:
not sure if this is of any help, but you can try to invoke external tools the same way as described in this forum phped-integration-scripts-f18.html

Thank you I will read it. Probably this one phpunit-integration-t3868.html will be the most useful out all of them.
Guru master

Personally I think that having the ability to return "errors" from an integration script that are recognized by PHPed as such would result in a lot more useful scripts. But then again, I have already asked that several times, hopefully it will be added some day Smile
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website

I subscribe to Spell checker integrated within phped same way Firefox have it in textarea, so you can just see the word in red underline and right-click for suggestions.
Veteran

What if I actually want the word shortened up? One thing I hate about Word is that there are red squiggly lines everywhere because I abbreviate a lot.

I might have a variable named $txtBox1.
Spell check will probably say "$textBox1"... not what I want.
I don't want to see squiggly lines all over the place because of that, and having to click "Add to dictionary" or "Ignore" for every abbreviation would be a p.i.t.a.
English spelling check engine for PhpED