NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Editor Replace & Origin / Annoying Search autocomplete

Find/Replace
---------------
My default "Find Text' setting is for the Origin "From Cursor".
Now, when I select a block of text and I do want to replace some chars in that block of selected text, I click in the scope for selected text.
This give me a message "Tried to search selected text from cursor but cursor is outside selected text" duuuuhhhhhhh

How to get the cursor in the selected text?

I could of course select in the origin "entire scope", but it will remember this setting and the next "Find Text" will use the "entire scope" which is the very last thing I want.

It will not remember however the the last Scope setting....

So, if a Scope.Selected text was chosen AND the scope was changed, set it back just like you do with scope. Or better, fix the selected thing so it will just do what any normal programmer want when selecting text and replace something in that text.

Annoying autocomplete
---------------------------
Did I already asked for a simple search which will NOT auto-complete while typing previous searches? Believe me, PHPEd does NOT know what I want to search for, so it should sh*^*^&t up trying!!

Scub
Site Admin

Quote:
so it will just do what any normal programmer want when selecting text and replace something in that text

I believe different normal programmers do this differently, or I myself is not a normal programmer at all.
After all, how would an editor guess what programmer wants to do?
For example, you might want to select some text and start searching for this text in whole the document.

I think the way this is very nicely implemented in PSPad

If nothing is selected the Scope control is disabled (quite logically since no text is selected there is no option)
If a single line text is selected then it is proposed as 'Text to find' and Scope is set to Global (cause it doesn't make much sense to search for something in that particula something does it)
Until here it's pretty much the same as PhpED, but here is the modification:
If a multiline text is selected then last search is kept as 'Text to find' and Scope is set to Selected text.

This is something which wouldn't interfere with existing PhpED behaviour, since it doesn't search for multiline text anyway - that is - if i select a multiline text i can't use the whole selection as 'Text to find' anyway - therefore, we should be pretty safe to assume that i did select some text in which i want to search (cause i can't search for it, so there is no option). And if that is the case - it doesn't make much sense to use the first line of selected text as 'Text to find'

Regards,
Ondrej
Editor Replace & Origin / Annoying Search autocomplete