NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
editor font settings

Hi, I'm trying to switch from ultraedit and downloaded trial and want to buy this product, but i have problems with font settings.

I want to set some good loking font. I'm using fixedsys in ultraedit, but the same font looks ugly in phped.

See the image , both the same fixedsys, 9 points

How can I have my source looking the same as in ultraedit? there is some problem with kerning in phped I think. I'm using fixedsys because it's good looking and I can't choose from many fonts, I need ISO8859-2 characters support..

no answer?
is it really a bug in phped, or it's some problem with my windows settings?

please somebody try fixedsys font and tell me if there are also these studid spaces between characters like on my screenshot.
Site Admin

I can't set 9pt... Only 10 option is available on my system... Ineed extra spaces are visible. Not sure where they came from...

Are there any reasons to use this ugly font ?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

it doesn't matter which size you set. fixedsys has fixed size, from 8 - 16 it looks the same.

i like this font and i'm used to it Razz

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, and I have to admit I find it quite disturbing. And I can say this is definitely not tied to the Fixedsys font, as I use Lucida Console 9pt.

The upper part is PhpED, the lower part is EditPlus (but for example PhpEdit also displays as EditPlus here, only PhpED uses this ugly character spacing).
Site Admin

The problem is because of the fonts you selected are NOT truly monospaced. PhpED assigned proper cell size to have the characters not trimmed regardless of font attributes (bold, italic, undeline). In particular, FixedSys font is 1 pixel wider when it is italic. That's why all cells are 1 pixel wider than they would be in case if font didn't change its width.

You may try Curier New and won't get any problems.
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website

Well, I'm sorry, but I don't care much about the internals, if the way it works isn't good for me at the end... And if - at the same time - all other programs can handle texts with the mentioned fonts nicely, that it's definitely not a feature... I cannot see any 'trim' in the other programs, the font rendering is just what I expect, but here I can see a very definitely ugly screen. The intention is to work with this program, all day long, se it does matter whether the display is nice or not.

And no, I don't want to use New courier, lucida is much more readable and less tiring for me.
Site Admin

Quote:
I cannot see any 'trim' in the other programs

Well, please post a screenshot of such programs when bold and italic styles are used.

With EditPlus you cannot make keywords bold or italic, and honestly, I never wanted to use such things. This is a monospaced editor for coding and fast cursor movement in all directions, obviously normal and bold characters won't fit nicely in the same grid.
Site Admin

it makes sense and explains...

Yes, I used a few years ago a c++ editor when I used italic for comments, that was nice, but never liked bold for keywords etc. as hard to read them. Colors are just perfect. Maybe underline too. I'll check in the evening what happens with a bold-capable editor and post a screenshot.

If you don't like courier, try something like Bitstream Vera. Bitstream fonts have in general solved the problem by narrowing bold and italics characters so they fit within the regular characterbox (and make them look awful.) Since you don't use bold or italics anyway, the font is perfect for you.
View user's profileFind all posts by dinoSend private messageVisit poster's website
editor font settings