NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
easier Find Declaration

There's a nice feature in Zend Studio - when you CTRL+click on a function - it opens up the file with it's definition (you have to right-click and select Find Declaration in phpEd).
View user's profileFind all posts by NatanielSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

In PhpED you can assign a shortcut for this (and comes with Shift-F12 by default). Will ZS let you do it?

dmitri wrote:
In PhpED you can assign a shortcut for this (and comes with Shift-F12 by default). Will ZS let you do it?

Hi Dmitri,

I've just downloaded the trial of PHPED and am enjoying the experience so far. One of the "issues" I have is this very thing. I have been using Zend IDE for a while now, and have got incredibly used to the ability to ctrl-click a method/function/include/etc and be taken to the declaration.

While I appreciate your view, your reply doesn't actually answer the question. It's not a matter of whether ZIDE can do something, it's whether PHPED can.

I would also like to request this feature, maybe making it optional? It's very handy and saves time.

Cameron
Site Admin

I know Smile
and 5.0.1 will support it.

One more thing about Find Declaration - it doesn't show up when I right click somewhere while having some text selected. Weird.
View user's profileFind all posts by NatanielSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

when you have some text selected, Find declaration is supposed to find declaration for the selected text and if this text is not identified as a thing to find declaration for, the feature will not be shown up in the popup.

You're wrong. When I select the function name and right-click on it, the "Find declaration" doesn't show up, while it shows up when I right click on that function name without anything selected. In the same way - ctrl+click doesn't work when I have something selected (it underscores the function name on mouse over, but click doesn't work).

One more thing - the new Ctrl+click feature is GREAT, but I wonder why it underscores the DECLARATION itself when mouse is over? For example:

// it underscores the function name here for nothing, ctrl+click doesn't work anyway, WRONG
// there's no "Find declaration", OK
function SomeFunction()
{
}

// there's right-click "Find declaration" and ctrl+mouse underscore, OK
$x = SomeFunction();
Site Admin

Quote:
// it underscores the function name here for nothing, ctrl+click doesn't work anyway, WRONG
// there's no "Find declaration", OK
function SomeFunction()
{
}

it "underscores" almost everything because corresponding code does not know the context and can't distinguish function call from function declaration. Code does not analyze the context until you do click to bring you the results faster. After all, what's the purpose to invoke find declaration being on the declaration?

dmitri wrote:
it "underscores" almost everything because corresponding code does not know the context and can't distinguish function call from function declaration. Code does not analyze the context until you do click to bring you the results faster. After all, what's the purpose to invoke find declaration being on the declaration?

There no purpose at all Smile Just seems strange it underscores it - like there is any functionality, when there isn't. If that's for speeding up the process, that's fine with me.
easier Find Declaration