NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Dual Screen and disappearing docking windows
Guru master

Hey,

I already mailed support on this 'feature' but haven't got a single reply so far so now I'm trying my luck here....

I have a dual screen setup where the primary is on the RIGHT and the secondary LEFT (opposite from most dual screen setups). Primary is 1600x1200, secondary is 1280x1024.

I have most of my docking windows on the secondary monitor so that I have a lot of editing space on the primary.

Every time I open a workspace which contains a heap of files (which are on a mapped drive, other PC), my code explorer/explorer/project window disappears (they are all docked as being one window). To get it back, I have to "View / Restore Default Docking" and re-order them all (or overwrite phpEd config with the one i saved, exactly for that reason). Toggling either of the windows below the View / Tabs menu does not re-show the windows.

I love phpEd and therefor purchased it a while ago, but this REALLY sux. I use remote debugging so I really need to use a workspace/project.

I can provide the config files/screenshots if needed, but can someone PLEASE help me out here?

Thanks!

[edit]
Extra note: after a few re-startups of the IDE, the heights of the docking windows also seem to change randomly, whilst the widths and general layout stays intact. Some general dual mon issues? iirc, the offsets etc for this kind of setup contain negative positions, perhaps that is the issue here.

Forgot this, my apologies:
phpEd 3.3.1, build 3358 registered & activated
Windows XP
[/edit]
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Guru master

The support here is as good as via mail ic.
Nice to know I wasted such a pile of extra money for the "support", should've sticked with the basic version instead of Advantage.
View user's profileFind all posts by BlizzSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Hi Steve,

Sorry for the delay. Actually, a bit more prioretized support is provided by email. You are free to proceed there or here if you want.
Anyways, to make your report complete, please send me a) screenshots of both monitors and b) the following key exported from the registry HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NuSphere\PHPEd3.3\Docks\Normal
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Guru master

First of all, I appologize for my reaction, I shouldn't have said that. Embarassed It's just that I mailed support before, asking the same question (2004/06/19) and never got an answer to my question at all. Since I use the program almost all day and switch projects often, something like this gets kinda frustrating.

2nd. The problem: My projects consist of a large number of files. Whenever I open a workspace, the program starts to scan all those files (http://myserver/phped/before.jpg). Sometimes (about once every 3 "opens") the scanning for a certain directory takes so long that you get a "Not responding" from windows, and one, or sometimes 2 panels "blur" (http://myserver/phped/during.jpg). Those panels disappear as soon as the loading is complete (http://myserver/phped/after.jpg) with no way on earth to get them back.
You can find the registry export http://myserver/phped/docksnormal.zip (note that the docking here is slightly different than the screens, but the general layout remains the same and the problem remains).
Remark: Switching programs during the scanning, or clicking the program window increases the frequency of the disappearing, since windows then notices faster that the window isn't responding.

Also: the heights of the docking windows change with each open of the program, but IIRC, this is a problem a lot of software with docking has, so just mentioning it.
Site Admin

thanks for the report.
It's my understanding that if the project is relatively small, phped does not hand for long time refreshing it and the problem goes away. Right ?
View user's profileFind all posts by dmitriSend private messageVisit poster's website
Guru master

That is correct.
It seems that phpEd only updates display after each scanned directory.
If it takes too long for a single directory (more than the time amount for windows to consider a window as not responsive) you get that reaction.
Note that it aren't always the same windows, but the explorer windows IS included in the disappearing windows every time.

Maybe that separating the file-scanning and the window thread would be a solution to the problem?
Guru master

One other remark (which I already made to some intent): if you don't do anything with the PC while a project is loading, and certainly DON'T switch windows, then the frequency of disappearing drops, but sometimes it still happens. Ow, btw, I have this problem on the 2 pc's on which I use phpEd, and they both have the same problem. Both are XP, but one is AMD whilst the other is Intel
Guru master

Just wanted to check in to see if you guys have enough data available to fix the docking?
I still have to work without opening a project at this point (so no remote dbg either) because of this problem.
Sorry for the reply if you are working on it, but since I use the editor every single day, the whole day, this is important for me, hope you understand Smile
Site Admin

yes, the problem is supposed fixed. please contact support for further info.
Dual Screen and disappearing docking windows