NuSphere Forums Forum Index
NuSphere Forums
Reply to topic
Download names to include versions

Hi,

I know this has been requested before but very little enthusiasm was received from Nusphere, yet it's such a huge improvement (and major annoyance) to those of us who like to keep our software up-to-date.

Please please please can you add the build number to the PhpEd filename and the debugger version to the Dbg filename?

So we will download files such as these for build 5637 and Dbg 3.7.0 respectively:

NuSphere-phped-5.6.5637-Win32.exe
NuSphere-phped-5.6-debugger-3.7.0-ssl.zip

I use Dbg on a remote development server and always keep the zip file so I can see at a glance what version of a particular software package it's running. When I download a PhpEd update, I'd like to see the Dbg version so I can see if I also need to update Dbg on my server (and not have to download Dbg, and extract it's contents both on my PC and the server and dig around the directories to find the version number and see if they're different.)

I'm sure it would be a big help to a lot of users (and surely it's not that big a job for you guys, is it NuSphere?)

Thanks,
Andy
View user's profileFind all posts by mailnet_ukSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

The IDE build number is shown in the setup, on the 2nd page where you're supposed to accept the license agreement:

Regarding version of the debugger, you may want to consult with ChangeLog to see that the debugger version is updated or not:
http://www.nusphere.com/news/changes56.htm

Hi Dimitri,

I know it is, but we're talking about people who don't have a lot of time on their hands here.

So to determine the version of NuSphere that we've got the download for on our PC, we have to start the setup, wait for it to begin, accept the Vista user authentication, then click Next, then look at the bottom of the license screen.

And for Dbg, you have to look at the change log, then extract the zip file on the server, cd into the relevant directories and compare with the change log?

The way I have proposed is simply to include the build in the download filename - so a quick glance at the filename on my PC or the server will tell me which version it is.

Virtually every other major software is shipped with the full version number in the filename, why is Nusphere so dead against doing this one little thing for us?
View user's profileFind all posts by mailnet_ukSend private messageVisit poster's website
Site Admin

Quote:
The way I have proposed is simply

Hmm, if you need buildnumber to appear in the file name, why don't you add it there when you're downloading and saving the file?

dmitri wrote:
Hmm, if you need buildnumber to appear in the file name, why don't you add it there when you're downloading and saving the file?

Because I use Firefox, which saves files automatically as soon as you hit Save. If I already have a downloaded version, it adds (2), (3) etc to the end of the filename.

Come on, seriously, how big a job is it? And what are the reasons for you not doing it?
Site Admin

It's upto our web guys, but I don't think that it's that simple to have the work done in a few days. With current implementation file names contain only version number and are registered in the database at the time when we release new version. In order to add build number into the name we'd have to change the procedures that work with corresponding tables, change queries, change db structure, change building process, and finally change online store and all the links there...